artificial Insemination

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

well i'm doing an assignment on brahmans and i want to know if i had 50 head of cattle would it be a good idea to only do 30 of them with artifical insemination? and also do u have any information on Embryo transfer, pregnancy testing and synchronisation of oestrus? thats to do with the brahmans to. i hope u can help THANKS!!!!!

Any time you can use AI on any number of cattle it's a good idea. Although there is a lot of whining about not being able to get the top Brahman semen, you can a lot closer to the top bulls via AI then you can afford to buy when you would have to buy the bull yourself. selectsires.com has excellent information on various methods of synchronization. ET in most instances is a money pit. You get fewer pregnancies via ET then with AI, embryos cost from around 250 and up per embryo. Even if you get 2 out of three to take the calves probably won't be worth that much more then using a good cow with a top AI bull. Preg checking cam be done in a number of ways, rectal palpation, ultrasound, milk analysis and I've heard of using human preg test kits although I don't know if they actually work or not.

dunmovin farms

> well i'm doing an assignment on
> brahmans and i want to know if i
> had 50 head of cattle would it be
> a good idea to only do 30 of them
> with artifical insemination? and
> also do u have any information on
> Embryo transfer, pregnancy testing
> and synchronisation of oestrus?
> thats to do with the brahmans to.
> i hope u can help THANKS!!!!!

you have to ask yourself what you want from your animals, why you are breeding them, and where you want to go. then consider costs. i cant tell you how many to do AI on. Do you keep heifer and bull calves or just one of the gendres?? will you rear all the calves born?? or will you sell some?? which ones will you sell?? what specific traits are you wanting to breed in?? do you have access to a good bull with those traits?? if so, what will it cost?? you have to work out the economics of it. ET is only worth it if you have a superior genetic cow that you would like to breed from extensively. or if u have access to buy embryos from someone elses superior cow. syncronisation is simple but can be costly. only use it if you want a small calving period or maybe half way through your mating period to get the non-cyclers cycling! it is always good to pt so you know what is goin on in your herd. and you can do something about the empty cows. im from New Zealand and if you would like some more scientific info i suggest you visit this website: <A HREF="http://www.lic.co.nz" TARGET="_blank">www.lic.co.nz</A>

> well i'm doing an assignment on
> brahmans and i want to know if i
> had 50 head of cattle would it be
> a good idea to only do 30 of them
> with artifical insemination? and
> also do u have any information on
> Embryo transfer, pregnancy testing
> and synchronisation of oestrus?
> thats to do with the brahmans to.
> i hope u can help THANKS!!!!!

Latest posts