Artifacts

Help Support CattleToday:

I my state they arrest people for digging up the past...

But I don't know why Anthropologists and Archeologists are the only ones that can collect what's in the ground. They stick what they find in a drawer or a few pieces end up in a museum and very few people ever see them.

I have one that looks a lot like the lower left point. I'd like to know if it's Clovis but don't know anyone to ask.
Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing, please keep us updated on your finds

Beautiful points ! We use to walk the river banks on the Tennessee and walk plowed fields when I was a teenager. State of Alabama doesn't allow artifact hunting on federal or state land anymore. Have found a couple on our farm but no concentration here .

Nice find and the cave is awesome. We have property close the river and when we plow after a rain a lot of Indian arrow heads would show up, but most are broken. There must at one time been a lot of Indians.

My dad has arrowhead hunted for about 50 years, he has found alot of good ones. He has found them all in eastern Arkansas around where we used to live. He would always go out there when farmers had plowed and then a good rain and he would walk up and down the fields. Eastern Arkansas is very flat so anywhere there was a mound you could bet there were artifacts. He has a 5 gallon bucket of pieces he's found over the years, all of the good ones that are complete are in display cases. Since he has retired he has started going through the bucket of pieces and has been able to match some of the pieces together that were found at different times. He can just about tell you where every one of them was found. When I was a kid that was one of our pass times along with riding around in the truck shooting snakes out of road ditches, eastern Arkansas had growed up swampy looking road ditches along most county roads, my dads truck was always full of .22 hulls. I enjoyed the snake hunting alot more. If I get a chance @callmefence , I'll try to get a picture of some of his good stuff.

When I had my place in Arkansas there was a spring up the valley from me. A guy showed up one day with a bulldozer, hired to clean out the spring. He never got off his dozer and after he left there were arrowheads scattered all over the place. The guy that owned the place picked up over three hundred of them.
I was talking to a guy with a degree in archeology and he said the Indians would chip points and store them in holes in the ground. They'd move to better hunting grounds and come back later, or not, to old camps... and so would their posterity over the centuries.

Found a bunch through the years, on the farm I grew up on in east Alabama, and find them here from time to time, working their way up out of the ground, or on gravel bars in the creek.

I've played around with flintknapping, and the crappy stone that those east Alabama Indians had to work with is horrendous... it's amazing to me that they ever managed to make something that could poke a hole in anything with that old amorphous quartz and quartzite rock - but I found some nice points made from stuff that was non-native, so they must have been trading for better material from time to time. I'm currently located close to a neolithic quarry of 'Dover Brown' chert, and nodules of 'Kentucky Blue' chert often show up in quarry spalls from the limestone quarries in the area. I find points made of both blue and brown chert here.

Here's one I found in a wildlife food plot at what was probably an Indian campsite that I plowed & planted when I was 15... found the bottom half then, but the tip piece appeared 35 years later when I plowed it up so my kids could hunt for points and pottery shards. It's not native to that area, and as soon as my son came up with it, I knew exactly what it was...

Attachments

• 1666892789830.png
    1666892789830.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
Found these - and a number of less-impressive broken pieces - within a stone's throw of the house/barns when we plowed up some pasture ground to plant hemp several years ago.
View attachment 22575
I'm sure you know but some don't.
The 3 on the left are preforms or unfinished blanks. Chert was often transported and traded in this stage of blade production. The little narrow one is a broken drill. All look to be archaic.

Latest posts