article

Help Support CattleToday:

I can understand the officers needing water and food. But a DVD player?

couldn't do anything my fanny!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
they could have been like the police are supposed to do, not steal!! AND THEN THEY WONDER WHY PEOPLE DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!!
GET A ROPE!!!!!

I saw this and felt my reply might be added to support those of us POLICE who can be trusted, my wife and i both are law enforcement I in 9 years and she going on 17 years, I pride myself on my integrity and my honesty and preach it to my children that they will not survive and live a good life without either of the two.

It is sad that there a few that bring down the profession and soil our names, but those are the few and there are many that actually take pride in the work and enjoy helping the unfortunate souls we do often encounter, I too say prosecute them once they cross that line I no longer call them a brother of mine.

I know with all that the mainstream media reports its hard to see that thin blue line but its there,some do cross it and I for one say punish em good,

I pride myself on the awards I have recieved in the line of duty for which citizens have so unselfishly declared me their hero, and their friend. I appreciate the fact that not all of us are corrupt, honestly If I had the backing I would be the first to volunteer to take these scum who call themselves brothers in blue out. but alas I am a mere patrolman, and I always watch my mouth, I don't trust some of them either.

you are great people but please don't assume that all of us are that way.

with respect
James

TV reported one third of New Orleans police have just quit being police. One that didn't quit was on camera raising cane about the quitters and calling them cowards who violated their oath when they put on the badge.

New Orleans has a long standing reputation for police corruption. Certainly bad for the public and very bad for policemen that try to do a good job.

Some of them (not just N.O.) think that badge and gun makes them superior to real people. They often have this 'brotherhood' mentality that gives them an unrealistic opinion of themselves. A lot of them do not undestand that they are hired by the public to serve the public.

In my time, when I have been given a hard time by some cop on an ego kick, I write a letter to the chief. When one does me a service, acts like a gentleman and treats me like one, I write a letter to the chief.

I know some very fine people who are also policemen. People are good or bad. Being police doesn't make them good or bad.

I see your reply and follow a little, However; use of the term "brotherhood is used loosley for you as someone I would assume has no knowledge of the bond we law enforcment share, Now I do have an "opinion" of my work and I believe and KNOW I have always acted accordingly, and do not hide behind a false idea or ego. I am extremely confident in the job I do and my actions while on the job.

I am very aware that I serve the public,and its interests BUT I was not hired by the public, there you are very wrong.

I am hired by the chief of police or sheriff which ever applies,as well as others in the profession, the "general" public at large has no hiring board or oral board and no grasp of the questions on tests or interviews,nor the training involved,that I am aware of, if they do I certainly missed that part of the interview. and I want better insurance now! pay could use a little more ooommph too.

This profession is a public service oriented environment, but it is there also to enforce laws of the state , city, and county in certain circumstances. some officers, do give people more of a hard time than they should however (for instance;) an officer asks you to surrender your license, it IS required by law that you comply, now some people would like to know why they were stopped and go into a big argument over why they have to give a license or what not, if the officer becomes stern remind yourself you have not complied with his or her request! YOU JUST BROKE THE LAW! so yes, some do get gruff and some are just really really nice ole guys, me I am just me, I have a family and my life is on the line and I get all information to give to dispatch b4 I continue further, I don't know you, I don't know what you are capable of, so mistrust is always there no matter WHO you think YOU are.

this is probably best left alone because it is a political issue of sorts, but I did have to reply once more to clarify that the public has no area of expertise to conduct an interview for a police officer candidate and does not have the means to hire or fire one, that is a decision based on the chief of police and no other, if others do get involved outside of a law enforcement agency not certified byt the state, they should be ashamed for believing they have such power.

police officers undergo training for three months and longer to just start at the police department and must maintain certian hours yearly to keep their powers of arrest, its not just go to school then write tickets all day, we continually learn and train always.

I appologize but this just hit a nerve

I tested and underwent the oral exams for state and city police when I was younger. In both cases there were civilian members on both oral boards. My father and ex father inlaw were both police officers and I can assure you that there is a "BROTHERHOOD" among police. I am glad to hear YOU are NOT among that group,otherwise known as "CHOIR BOYS".

I guess I can honestly say I jump too fast sometimes and don't consider other municipalities and their methods, here in georgia we never have civilian watchdogs or observers except in the ride along prrogram initiated by the college for up and coming law enforcement individuals, I really can't speak for other agencies and should have kept that in mind when I posted before, when civilians do get involved at times I.M.O. it becomes more of an issue. than when certified men and women take the reins it is more a proffessional environment to know your peers are the ones controlling the interview and you can actually expect real scenarios from the experienced veterans.

as far as choir boys, lol I am thirty and have yet to hear that term except to describe innocent young fellas, other than that I honestly have no clue what that deescribes soory for my ignorance but maybe its better that way ya think?

I am not in law enforcement....but I can "get the feel" of the sense of loyalty and brotherhood from my experience in the military.It is almost like "you and yours against the world"sometimes.The problems in New Orleans are largely due to the fact that the jails were emptied when they started to flood.They just simply released them on the unsuspecting publinc instead of keeping them under lock and key.This can be laid at the feet of the city government. :mad:

Farmercop --- you might enjoy reading a novel that was written, oh I'd guess about 20 or 25 years ago, by a former cop named Joseph Wambaugh, entitled "The Choirboys". Pretty hilarious stuff. ;-)

Farmercop,
Don't be dissillusioned by a few bad apples . You have a honorable profession and be proud of it. Often our policeman take a bad rap for the actions of a few as we have seen in NO. They were not policeman..they were hoods. All professions have them.

Latest posts