Arthrogryposis Multiplex Risk site

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Since they've developed a DNA test-The AAA website has a new AMF/AMC interactive report. It tells you if any of your cattle have a risk to be AMC (carriers) for the gene that causes Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM)-- what they were calling Curley Calf...

It sure makes you feel good when you run yours and they all come up "no carrier ancestor" (as of this now anyway) - and makes you even happier you never really cared for the Gardiner cattle or Precision breeding :D

That's pretty neat, but all of mine say they are potential carriers? :lol2: I was about to send in samples on all of mine anyway, guess that just means I was doing the right thing and didn't even know it. :nod: I know all the semen I purchased is from bulls that are AMF. Looks like the new list of carrier bulls is up to 92 now, if I counted right?

It would also be nice to list the highly suspect (what I feel is the obvious) cows as well. For example, 2536, 2V1 is a carrier and she is the only place 2V1 could get it from. 810 is probably another.

add to that 5H11, corona's dam, integrity's dam (he's clean but his flush brother isn't).

Now I've been gone and missed most of the discussion on CCS and quite frankly it's too early in the morning to go searching for it. Oldtimer what's your opinion on what should be done with the carrier cattle? I personally think yanking registration papers is the fastest way to solve it and not continue to perpetuate the proplem so we don't turn into the shorthorn or maine breeds with their defects.

Oldtimer":36jjqkfe said:
Since they've developed a DNA test-The AAA website has a new AMF/AMC interactive report. It tells you if any of your cattle have a risk to be AMC (carriers) for the gene that causes Arthrogryposis Multiplex (AM)-- what they were calling Curley Calf...

It sure makes you feel good when you run yours and they all come up "no carrier ancestor" (as of this now anyway) - and makes you even happier you never really cared for the Gardiner cattle or Precision breeding :D

It is a good feature. We have one, a Midland heifer we bought last spring. When Midland was tested AMF, I figured we were ok. But her maternal greatgrandma is a 9J9 cow :mad:, so she'll have to be tested. We want to eventually test everything, but I haven't checked into the cost yet.

Jake":1crcvsqp said:
Now I've been gone and missed most of the discussion on CCS and quite frankly it's too early in the morning to go searching for it. Oldtimer what's your opinion on what should be done with the carrier cattle? I personally think yanking registration papers is the fastest way to solve it and not continue to perpetuate the proplem so we don't turn into the shorthorn or maine breeds with their defects.

If you go ranking registrations on every carrier out there, you will loose alot of good qualities that put the angus breed on top. They can easily be managed, all you have to do is check all your cattle and don't mate two carriers, then check the offspring. It might do you some good to look through all the old posts, it's all been debated to death already. I will also say that just because it says they are "potential carriers" on the site, that doesn't mean they are, the test will tell you that.

Frankie":j2cxk4kw said:
Oldtimer":j2cxk4kw said:

It is a good feature. We have one, a Midland heifer we bought last spring. When Midland was tested AMF, I figured we were ok. But her maternal greatgrandma is a 9J9 cow :mad:, so she'll have to be tested. We want to eventually test everything, but I haven't checked into the cost yet.

MMI is $24, Bovigen is $29 with a $10 credit towards the Genestar testing. They both have large quantity discounts too.

Jake":ws90xsyg said:

Well my understanding is that if you have a potential carrier ancestor- that the animal (or its progeny) will have to be tested or any future progeny can't be registered...
That and the fact they are putting right on the registration # whether an animal has tested as a carrier (which would mean I would not use them and take the chance of getting another carrier) should over time eliminate the problem....Too many clean animals in the breed to need to use a carrier....

That's my first reaction, too: Just yank the registration papers on all of them. But cooler heads prevail, thank goodness. :) It's my understanding that if you own animals that are carriers and want to continue to use them, you can. Before you can register their calves though, each one must test AM free. But the Angus Assn issues AI certs and they won't issue certs on bulls that are AI carriers. If that's not right, someone please correct me.

Frankie-

I concur with your entire interpretation of this situation - particularly that regarding "cooler heads prevailing". If the Angus Association won't issue certs on bulls which are carriers, eventually the current "issue" will eliminate itself through attrition.

BUT - the immediate "caution" which rears its head is convincing Breeders to NOT throw common sense to the winds, by selecting individual seedstock choices with "carriers" on BOTH sides of the pedigree, regardless of how far back they occur. But scofflaws exist in ALL areas of industry! Any restrictions placed on the elimination of "negatives" must be ruthless in their implementation.

That is why we have "Rules and Regulations" by which to live.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts