Arthritis in cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a cow approximately 7 years old. She has arthritis in her left hip. As long as the tempature remains above freezing she is okay, but when it gets in the teens, she is in pain and can<br>hardly move. She has a calf and is caring for it,<br>but when she gets down, I wonder if she is going to be able to get up again. She raises a good calf, has plenty of milk. Is there something I can give her (like LA200)or should I just keep her in the barn. Any help will bw appreciated.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

LA 200 will not touch arthritis if it is osteoarthritis, and isn't great if it is septic. Is the joint painful and swollen and hot, or just enlarged, firm and stiff? If it's the first, contact your vet to try and save her, if it's the second, I'd still recommend you talk to your vet, but you may be able to give her NSAIDS (ie aspirin, ketoprofen or banamine) if she's really bad. I'd keep her on a clean, well bedded pack where she has room to move and not get stuck easily (a small box stall is much worse than a large pack outside in a pole barn) She could go down much more easily if the area is slippery. I tend to recommend NSAIDS only when really bad, not as a routine, thus it's best to talk to your vet about the regulations in your area. Oh, don't breed her back unless she's really valuable. Arthritis tends to increase with aging.<br>V
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Latest posts