arrrrgg... heifer with bad quarter

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
talking about disappointing.. noticed one of my 8 month old heifers with a swollen teat... ran her thru the chute and that whole quarter is very hard...

she was a very nice heifer... an ai'ed calf that i had high hopes for..

jt

Were the other calves trying to nurse her?
Any chance she was bee stung? Chilly here now but the bee's are real aggressive this time of year.

Go to the elevator or Tractor supply and get a tube of "Tomorrow". Follow the directions on the box for the hard quarter.

Don't give up on her just yet. ;-)

certherfbeef":8ehvw743 said:
Were the other calves trying to nurse her?
Any chance she was bee stung? Chilly here now but the bee's are real aggressive this time of year.

Go to the elevator or Tractor supply and get a tube of "Tomorrow". Follow the directions on the box for the hard quarter.

havent noticed any calf nursing going on... and i try to keep a close eye out for that... lost a heifer once to mastitis because of such nursing...

it something stung her, i would think that it should go down in a few days... i will keep an eye on her.

someone will probably tell me saturday... but here goes anyway.. :lol: what is "tomorrow"?

thanks

jt

jt":30nf3txf said:
what is "tomorrow"?
Used it on the Dairy cattle when we dried them off before the next calf. There is Tomorrow and Today. Both product names. Today is used for lactating cattle to treat mastitis. That is why I suggested Tomorrow for the heifer. But Today may work just as well, maybe better.

thanks... i will have to check around and see if i can find this product...

jt

my feed store has it...

this is a new adventure for me. after reading the literature on it i still have some questions..

should i treat all 4 quarters or only the infected one?

is this a one time treatment or more?

the literature said something about partial insertion of the tube or full insertion... which should i do on a young heifer?

what success rate can i expect?

just trying to get a better understanding here... any guidance apprectiated..

thanks

jt

jt":bvksop3e said:
should i treat all 4 quarters or only the infected one?
Just the infected one

is this a one time treatment or more?

Treat her once and watch her. You should see improvement (quarter is plyable, fever is gone) with in 2 day at most.
If no improvement, treat her again.

the literature said something about partial insertion of the tube or full insertion... which should i do on a young heifer?
What ever is easier. Most heifers will kick. The partial insertion is so that no unnessary forign matter is put into the teat. Use the alcohol pad that is supplied. Wipe the very end of the teat and around the outside edge.

what success rate can i expect?
In my experence with dairy and treating beef cattle this way...very good chance that you will notice no problems when she calves.

**my adivse here is based soley on my own experience with my own cattle. It should in no way take the place of a vet.**

To add to what cert said...

Tomorrow should -technically- be only a one time treatment, whereas Today you treat a second time 12 hour later. I'd probably give her two syringes of Tomorrow at one time, if there's no improvement in a few days/week or two - treat again. I've found on cows with a chronic case of mastitis at dry-off time that just one syringe of Tomorrow doesn't do the trick.

Success rate depends on how bad the infection is and/or how long it has been going on. If treatment is successful she'll calve with four milking quarters. If not, you'll have a three-quarter cow.

Some people like to do a SubQ shot of antibiotic (like penicillin) at the same time.

thanks cert and milkmaid..

best i could tell there was no fever in the quarter, but it was hard throughout the quarter. i did give her 10 cc penicillin last night. dont really know how long she has been this way, but i wouldnt think very long, since she is only 7 1/2 months old.

jt

I work on a large dairy herd an this is all to common of a situation for us. What we do is use about 12 cc's of a product called animax or duermalone (this is used to cure cats and dogs eyes) than a syringe of today directly in tyhe quarter. We retreat it 24 hours later. Along with the drugs in the quarter we put a high dosage of penicillen in the cow (40 to 50 cc's depending on the size). Are success rate is close to 75 percent. Make sure you get all of the bad stuff out of the quarter before you treat it.

ok.. heres the scoop... bought the tomorrow and went to administer it... what i didnt see last night was that on the back inside of her teat she had a large cut... deep.. it was dusk dark and all i did last night was feel of it. there was a little, not much, infection... couldnt get the syringe to go very far into the teat, and when i pushed the medicene out, it ran out the cut.. sprayed the cut and gave her another shot of penicillin and turned her out..

i guess time will tell..

any more suggestions are welcome.. it is almost as if another calf bit her.

thanks

jt

jt":3l7log0b said:
couldnt get the syringe to go very far into the teat, and when i pushed the medicene out, it ran out the cut..

WOW!

I'm not one for vet help but, if she were mine and worth keeping, I'd have the vet out there at first light.

See if he/she thinks it ought to be removed. If it is cut as bad as it sounds, have the vet take the remaining botton piece off and sew up the bottom. 3 titted cow will feed a calf just fine.

certherfbeef":1bhgnowu said:
jt":1bhgnowu said:
couldnt get the syringe to go very far into the teat, and when i pushed the medicene out, it ran out the cut..

WOW!

I'm not one for vet help but, if she were mine and worth keeping, I'd have the vet out there at first light.

See if he/she thinks it ought to be removed. If it is cut as bad as it sounds, have the vet take the remaining botton piece off and sew up the bottom. 3 titted cow will feed a calf just fine.

ok.. i probably overstated the cut size... i guess i was suprised that it was even cut... it is not quite as bad as i made it out to be.. so the cut may not be as bad as you are picturing... i couldnt see it at all until i got down and really looked... the teat is about 1 1/2 inches long and is cut about half way up.. it is about a 1/2 inch long cut. it is deep only right in the center of the cut. i am not worried about whether the cut will heal, i just dont know what happens next.. i suspect she will loose that quarter for good, which is the same if it is sewn up.

i may call my vet in the morning, but he is not going to want to do anything to her. i had a cow cut one of her teats about 3/4ths off once and milk was steadily flowing out. he said to let her go and it would heal on its own.. and it did. i didnt keep the cow to see if she would milk out of that quarter later.

i dont have much choice on vets.. the one i use is plenty good but has the mentality many times of letting nature heal such stuff. i am not saying i agree with him always, but that is the way it is here. cant afford to get cross ways with him cause he helps me a lot and i have to admit, usually what he tells me will happen, happens, and i dont have a good second choice on vets.

the cut is bad for the teat because it is deep enough to be in the canal, but it is not a real big cut in comparison to the size of the teat. the cut should heal fine except i figure that the quarter will probably be lost. am i missing or overlooking something here?

thanks

jt

i think it will heal on its own and be ok. if not, its not a big deal. i dont think the vet can do anything to fix it. i mean he cant sew it up in there or anything so it will pretty much have to heal itself..

worst case scenario, a 3 quartered cow will raise a calf fine. i had a cow get her teat stepped on and the tip sloughed off and her teat is still functional.

I wonder, has anyone ever banded a nonfunctional teat just to get it out of the way?

Beefy":13h75byo said:
i think it will heal on its own and be ok. if not, its not a big deal. i dont think the vet can do anything to fix it. i mean he cant sew it up in there or anything so it will pretty much have to heal itself..

worst case scenario, a 3 quartered cow will raise a calf fine. i had a cow get her teat stepped on and the tip sloughed off and her teat is still functional.

I wonder, has anyone ever banded a nonfunctional teat just to get it out of the way?

that is what my vet says too.. i guess i got over excited about it.. :oops: i usually dont let things like this get to me, but it did this time... wasnt expecting what i found.. being cut to the milk canal, well that kinda had me reeling there for a few minutes.. it came into perspective when i remembered that cow i had that almost had one cut off..

this morning she doesnt look as swelled..

thanks to all that reponded, especially cert... lots of help, and i learned what today and tomorrow is. :lol:

jt

ys you can cut the dead teat off.weve had cows cut their teats.an they healed up an milked just fine.since its a heifer.id worry that she might have scar tissue in that teat.an yes she will raise a calf on 3 teats.scott

I've seen cows with really bad mastitis have that teat cut off on purpose, so it can drain. Last resort, mind you, and it's not a pretty sight.

After watching several of those cows be dried off and then calve and enter the milking herd again, I note that the udder tends to become lopsided. As a dry or late-lactation cow it isn't quite as obvious, but in the week(s) prior to calving the side where one teat was cut off can swell two or three times the size of the other side. It doesn't "behave" like a normal, four quarter udder where all four quarters swell and fill with milk the same amount.

On the other hand, a cow who had mastitis in one quarter but eventually recovered, teat left alone, and the quarter simply does not give milk...that udder can look perfectly normal.

I'd be more inclined to leave that teat alone, regardless of if it gives/will give milk or not, because IMO her udder will hold up longer with four teats on four quarters. Which means longer productivity, longer herd life, etc etc.

Just my opinion.

just a quick follow up... the calf is healing very nicely.. almost completely healed up. time will tell if she will be able to use that quarter, but my guess is that she will not. i hope that i am wrong.

thanks

jt

Latest posts