Arrrggghhhh.. lice!

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I just found a couple of small patches of what looks like lice on one of the heifers we're hauling to Ft. Worth next week. :frowns: What is the quickest way to get rid of them, with doing the least amount of damage to the hair?

Aside from actually treating them chemically....
If they're small, accessible patches, a bot knife (for horses) or razor, or old saw blade, is good for scraping them off. I've done this a few times before. Have heard vinegar rinses can work too but haven't tried it myself.

TheBullLady":39zfng7v said:
I just found a couple of small patches of what looks like lice on one of the heifers we're hauling to Ft. Worth next week. :frowns: What is the quickest way to get rid of them, with doing the least amount of damage to the hair?
a pour on de wormer such as Dectomax or cydectin is the quickest

TheBullLady":2nebxizq said:

I discovered patches that looks like lice on one of my show heifers as well this week. I use a pour on tick control do deal with the lice. The show isn't till 20 Feb so I have a little time to get regrowth.

What puzzles me is that its completely out of season for lice, typically late winter early spring is the lice season, not the middle of summer.

Typically around here, late spring, early summer is lice time. I usually just let it go, and they eventually go away. But if they get too bad, I use some pour on or power solution to get rid of em.

I've always used Cydectin on my show animals, if they are white it can sometimes stain though.

TheBullLady":13gtfymb said:

ivomec pour on.

For a quick kill I would use Lintox D. You can either spray on affected areas or dip the cattle. It works much quicker than ivomec or cydectin. The later have greater longevity but are not as quick to act because they are systemic. Lintox D is direct and immediate. You can not reverse the hair loss but you can kill the lice and stop the scratching in one application in 1 day!