armyworms

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
can someone explain the appearance difference in the fall armyworm and the beet armyworm? i need to know how to identify each.

thanks

jt

jt":8h7e1aoy said:
can someone explain the appearance difference in the fall armyworm and the beet armyworm? i need to know how to identify each.

thanks

jt

I hope they do jt cause I didn't know we had a beet armyworm.

:cboy:

Best bet would be your local county agent, either university extension, USDA-NRCS, or something of the sort. With the variations of local names it's hard to tell what something may be called in another area. The goat weed/croton deal is a perfect example.

dun

Beet army worm --- is a light green to black larva with 4 pairs of abdominal prolegs and a dark head. There are many fine, white wavy lines along the back and a broader stripe along each side. There is usually a distinctive dark spot on each side just above the second pair of true legs (courtesy of K-State Research and Extension)

Fall army worms --- You can identify fall army worm caterpillars by 4 black dots on the back of the tip of the abdomen. Larger caterpillars typically have a light-colored, upside down Y-shape on the head, and 3 white lines on top of the segment just behind the head (courtesy of http://www.aces.edu)

I've had the little buggers a couple of times in the last several years and they virtually ate every leaf on my bermuda. I'm an absentee owner and around this time of the year I can only make it to my place once a week. I've seen a lot of nice bermuda one week and when I came back a week later it looked like a wasteland with only bermuda stems.

thanks to all for the posts..

talked to my extension man and he said that most likely i have the fall armyworm.. that he rarely runs across the beet one and that when he does it has not been in pastures.

what prompted me to ask is that my supplier for the stuff to kill them said that what he sells for the fall worm wont kill the beet one.. so i needed to know which i had.

again, thanks for the comments

jt

Campground Cattle":2rnk9e12 said:
Liquid seven will take them out.

yes, that is what i put on them... but was told it wont kill the beet variety..

thanks

jt

yep, me too.

i have another question about these pests.. are they just as apt to get into bahia fields as bermuda? just wondering because i have both kinds of grasses and all i have found them in so far is the bermuda?

i am told that a way to get rid of them is to cut your field, or bale your hay.. but i have found them in a closely grazed pasture too.. should i spray it or will they leave since the grass is so short?

jt

ive never noticed any on bahia either. i think its just bermuda but dont know.

jt":1anv6hiw said:
yep, me too.

i have another question about these pests.. are they just as apt to get into bahia fields as bermuda? just wondering because i have both kinds of grasses and all i have found them in so far is the bermuda?

i am told that a way to get rid of them is to cut your field, or bale your hay.. but i have found them in a closely grazed pasture too.. should i spray it or will they leave since the grass is so short?

jt

Jt I have both also they don't seem to bother the bahia just the bermuda I wish I could get some to eat world feeder crap to the roots. The only way I have ever got rid of the little pest is spray the pasture.

JT, my experience is also that they go after the bermuda and leave the bahia alone. Many people in my neck of the woods despise bahia, of course especially the hay growers, but I don't --- for the simple reason that I've always taken some comfort in knowing that if the bugs clean out my bermuda the cows will still have bahia to nibble on until the bermuda leafs out again.

Arnold Ziffle":1tm2vf1p said:
JT, my experience is also that they go after the bermuda and leave the bahia alone. Many people in my neck of the woods despise bahia, of course especially the hay growers, but I don't --- for the simple reason that I've always taken some comfort in knowing that if the bugs clean out my bermuda the cows will still have bahia to nibble on until the bermuda leafs out again.

yep, many around here are not crazy about the bahia either.. but i can certainly understand your situation.. i dont have the time to deal with alot of grass problems. i am not particularly wild about bahia, but it beats nothing.

i need to do some serious thinking about my situation (i have some other pasture issues that i want to address and now might be the time)

thanks

jt

jt":326fzkgz said:
Arnold Ziffle":326fzkgz said:

yep, many around here are not crazy about the bahia either.. but i can certainly understand your situation.. i dont have the time to deal with alot of grass problems. i am not particularly wild about bahia, but it beats nothing.

i need to do some serious thinking about my situation (i have some other pasture issues that i want to address and now might be the time)

thanks

jt

I have never understood the hate for bahia best hay field have is bahia.
Poor mans coastal bermuda, cant get the hateful suff to grow, I guess I am stuck with Bahia. I guess its good I like it.

Campground Cattle":3v1i2t0d said:
jt":3v1i2t0d said:
Arnold Ziffle":3v1i2t0d said:

thanks

jt

Poor mans coastal bermuda, cant get the hateful suff to grow, I guess I am stuck with Bahia. I guess its good I like it.

Does it have palatability issues, low nutritional value? Just curious, we don't have anything of the sort around here.

dun

our cows prefer bermuda to bahia. but its still good grass. grows fast, seeds prolifically. i prefer bermuda because it grows out and up, whereas bahia tends to just grow up. saw a stnad of the new Tift 9 bahia a few months ago. looked kind of sparse.

dun":2dkbld7i said:
Campground Cattle":2dkbld7i said:
jt":2dkbld7i said:
Arnold Ziffle":2dkbld7i said:

thanks

jt

Does it have palatability issues, low nutritional value? Just curious, we don't have anything of the sort around here.

dun

Can get tough when it gets tall, also has lots of seeds. I have a coastal hay feed I lease my cows wont hardly eat it. I know its good hay but if you set out a roll of bahia and coastal they eat the Bahia first. It is very prolific in East Texas enviroment commonly refered to as the poor mans coastal.

Latest posts