Armyworms

Help Support CattleToday:

Texan

Reaction score
Any of you in Texas or Louisiana seeing any worms yet? I've heard some reported north of I-20, but I haven't found any yet. Seems kinda early to me, but the grasshoppers were early this year, too.

BC":19zbcsw8 said:
We have had armyworms in Van Zandt and Henderson Counties in Northeast Texas.

I should clarify that armyworms are being found in areas that were lucky enough to get some showers.

HAY MAKER":ivnvgnu5 said:
Are you kidding Texan :D if they show up around here this fall,they better bring some thing to drink........good luck
I heard you always provided the drinks for everybody that showed up at your place, HAY MAKER. :lol:

That's the way it was here too, though. Up until last week when we finally got a little rain to green things up. I'm afraid it's just like BC is saying. As soon as it starts to green up just a little bit, they're gonna be ready to jump on it.

I normally don't spray for worms. In most years, I'll either go ahead and cut the hay out from under them if it's big enough to cut. Or turn in and let the cows eat 'em if it's not.

I'm afraid this year I need the hay bad enough that I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spray, though.

alabama":2ra0df38 said:
Yes we got em bad last week. Everybody spraying.
What kills them best? Other than seeing all your grass gone, how can you detect them in the early stages?

denoginnizer":1mtq867u said:
alabama":1mtq867u said:
What kills them best? Other than seeing all your grass gone, how can you detect them in the early stages?

cattle egrets.

Texan":23rto9vd said:
HAY MAKER":23rto9vd said:
Are you kidding Texan :D if they show up around here this fall,they better bring some thing to drink........good luck
I heard you always provided the drinks for everybody that showed up at your place, HAY MAKER. :lol:

That's the way it was here too, though. Up until last week when we finally got a little rain to green things up. I'm afraid it's just like BC is saying. As soon as it starts to green up just a little bit, they're gonna be ready to jump on it.

I normally don't spray for worms. In most years, I'll either go ahead and cut the hay out from under them if it's big enough to cut. Or turn in and let the cows eat 'em if it's not.

I'm afraid this year I need the hay bad enough that I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and spray, though.

sprayin em aint too bad,use a liquid fertilizer tank with liquid sevin.
PS I do sit em up pretty good around here but,I draw the line on those no good army worms :mad: ..........good luck

denoginnizer":1u95qdkt said:
alabama":1u95qdkt said:
Lanate will kill em.
You have to scout your fields and look for em.
You got to be quick. Find em one day and your crop gone the next.

Texan":2t3uzmoy said:
Any of you in Texas or Louisiana seeing any worms yet? I've heard some reported north of I-20, but I haven't found any yet. Seems kinda early to me, but the grasshoppers were early this year, too.

I haven't seen any sign but I am looking also the first one I see I plan on bathing the pasture in liquid seven.

denoginnizer":1rkauu5a said:
alabama":1rkauu5a said:

denoginnizer,
Liquid sevin is usually used,watch your fields closely,the first
sign of army worms are the egg laying small gray looking moths,you will see them in numbers in your fields,as you walk thru your fields they will fly in front of you.GET READY, it wont be long before you will start seeing spots where the eggs they laid are now worms,and they wont be hard to see,looking close you will see army worms from almost 2 inches long to 1/8 inch, when they get started they can ruin a field in short order,the spots they are working can be as large as 5,10,15 acres maybe larger .
Army worms are one of the reasons we usually wait till after the first frost to plant winter forage,problem is, some years you wont be bothered by army worms,some years you will,and some years frosts come late,some years early.........good luck

Latest posts