Army Worms

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am hearing that army worms are in my area, which is in western, Kentucky. Could anybody give me info on this, how to prepare, extent of damage it might cause. They are finding them in wheat and hay feilds.

> I am hearing that army worms are
> in my area, which is in western,
> Kentucky. Could anybody give me
> info on this, how to prepare,
> extent of damage it might cause.
> They are finding them in wheat and
> hay feilds.

I would recommend that you get the spray rig checked out and ready to run. We had an army worm problem here in East Texas a couple of years ago. I had a ten acre pasture I was holding back for rotation. I was checking it every day and one day I walked out and the pasture was bare. They had literally marched accross the pasture and devoured everything green (except goat weed), in the whole field. They are fast and they are thorough. We managed to get some of the surrounding pastures sprayed but The chemicals are expensive. As I recall, It cost about $10.00 to $12.00 per acre to treat them. I believe it was wettable sulphur we used but you need to check with your local extension service. What we used was fairly effective on the young worms but if you see any over an inch long, you may need to make a second application. Your local farm supply store should be able to help you as well. Declare war on them early and good luck.

Mack

[email protected]

Latest posts