Army Worms

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":20yxgd94 said:
They have been exceptionally bad this year. I have sprayed 3 times already. We check for them daily.

I had one of those once, blond hair and all. She was my "Tookie Baby".....where I got that I don't know. One day she was riding on my arm and it just came out. Liked it so I kept it for her very own. She's all grown up now, just had her 52nd birthday.

M-5":1vcpq5nd said:
They have been exceptionally bad this year. I have sprayed 3 times already. We check for them daily.

That's an awfully cute army worm! My little girl is 16 now, it was just yesterday that she was that big. :(

Army worms have eaten one of my hayfields completely up. But I got my third cutting the first week of August so I quit spraying bc I don't need or want any more hay this year. Wish I had a barn I would store some for hard times.

Dash, what is that you e got sowed?

So I knew I wouldn't look long to see a post on army worms.

After 3 months of no rain, we finally got 2-3" and sure enough, those boogers showed up last weekend. I'm at a delimna. I was planning to spray a more expensive insecticide that has residual when they showed up, but now they are here and cooler weather is coming I'm wondering if I should just go with a contact insecticide that is cheaper.

I want to plant oats and rye in a few weeks, too.

Dusty Britches":29b9wtq1 said:

After 3 months of no rain, we finally got 2-3" and sure enough, those boogers showed up last weekend. I'm at a delimna. I was planning to spray a more expensive insecticide that has residual when they showed up, but now they are here and cooler weather is coming I'm wondering if I should just go with a contact insecticide that is cheaper.

I have heard of people putting 1gal on bleach 32oz of lemon joy to 100 gallons of water . 20gal water per acre., Its supposed to kill on contact . I would say that it would buy you a few days until the next hatch .

M-5":oqwg9buk said:
Dusty Britches":oqwg9buk said:

I have heard of people putting 1gal on bleach 32oz of lemon joy to 100 gallons of water . 20gal water per acre., Its supposed to kill on contact . I would say that it would buy you a few days until the next hatch .

I've heard of similar.

The army worms are the worst I've ever seen. I mean to post the pictures here when I get time. Army worms in oats, Bermuda,klien, bluestem,haygrazer and on young mesquite's.

Dusty look into 36percent permethrin at 8 ounces per acre. 1gallon to min.100 gallon water. Gives a very good kill but very little residual. Should run you less than 5 bucks acre.

I had an attack on my yard at my home. That's a first for me. Its strange what they ate and what they left behind. The yard is a typical neglected rural yard with a mixture of plants. They decimated the Bermuda, Johnson, Dallisgrass and some other grasses but didn't touch the weeds, bushes or trees. I have a couple patches of big giant leafed elephant ears that I would have thought would be a delicacy, but they were left alone.
I don't know where they came from or where they went but after the hard rain we had last week, they disappeared.
Good riddance.

bird dog":34tj00e7 said:
I had an attack on my yard at my home. That's a first for me. Its strange what they ate and what they left behind. The yard is a typical neglected rural yard with a mixture of plants. They decimated the Bermuda, Johnson, Dallisgrass and some other grasses but didn't touch the weeds, bushes or trees. I have a couple patches of big giant leafed elephant ears that I would have thought would be a delicacy, but they were left alone.
I don't know where they came from or where they went but after the hard rain we had last week, they disappeared.
Good riddance.

There were so many here and after I kept spraying the buffer zone between the fields was nothing but weeds and they stripped everything inbetween except the iron weed

Latest posts