Army Worms

Help Support CattleToday:

Like Dash said Mustang is good. Baythroid is good and cheap too. If you need a little residual put a couple oz of Dimlin with it.

Dash, I've heard that the "shock" treatment for swimming pools works too. I've never tried it though. Best chemical I ever used was Lannate. But you better have a cab or be real careful. That's some bad stuff. It will smoke an armyworm though.

This is the worst I've ever seen. I had a pasture that I was saving for fall grazing and went out today and it's pretty much gone. There were no worms 2 days ago but we got a big rain and boom. I went ahead and moved my cows on what's left of the grass to get what they can before the worms take it all. Looks like I'll be feeding hay much sooner that what I was planning.

worms.jpg

So what stops the army worm march if you don't kill them. They don't run out of food so what happens to end this?

Reason I ask is the ones in my yard move about 25yards into my pasture and suddenly stopped and disappeared. Where did they go? Are they just hiding, waiting for another rain?

bird dog":g4yiky3q said:
So what stops the army worm march if you don't kill them. They don't run out of food so what happens to end this?

Reason I ask is the ones in my yard move about 25yards into my pasture and suddenly stopped and disappeared. Where did they go? Are they just hiding, waiting for another rain?
once they are full grown they cocoon and the moths hatch and cycle starts again . They are here yr round but only a huge influx is in spring and late summer.

I have never had or heard of a problem here in Central Missouri with armyworms is that a southern thing?
That would suck having your grass disappear like that.

TexFarmer":1ecvfk8a said:
This is the worst I've ever seen. I had a pasture that I was saving for fall grazing and went out today and it's pretty much gone. There were no worms 2 days ago but we got a big rain and boom. I went ahead and moved my cows on what's left of the grass to get what they can before the worms take it all. Looks like I'll be feeding hay much sooner that what I was planning.

worms.jpg

They were more than likely there two days ago. But depending on adjoining crops/land use, they could have possibly arrived at your field already nearing maturity, which makes sense because lots of time a big rain will drown them if they're really small. You have to look real close to see them when they are small. They grow fast and can do a lot of damage quickly. I check daily. Spraying threshold is 3 or more per sq ft. If I find more than 15-20 in 40 acres I spray, unless the hay is ready to cut. When I check for them I get on my hands and knees and look under any ground litter. Also know people who drag a bucket behind a utv or truck through the field but I don't like running over my hay. Check early in the morning or late in the evening, while the temps are lower. Around here, a hayfield full of cattle egrets are usually a sign that you've waited too long.

JMJ Farms":3qom5sd5 said:
TexFarmer":3qom5sd5 said:

worms.jpg

They were more than likely there two days ago. But depending on adjoining crops/land use, they could have possibly arrived at your field already nearing maturity, which makes sense because lots of time a big rain will drown them if they're really small. You have to look real close to see them when they are small. They grow fast and can do a lot of damage quickly. I check daily. Spraying threshold is 3 or more per sq ft. If I find more than 15-20 in 40 acres I spray, unless the hay is ready to cut. When I check for them I get on my hands and knees and look under any ground litter. Also know people who drag a bucket behind a utv or truck through the field but I don't like running over my hay. Check early in the morning or late in the evening, while the temps are lower. Around here, a hayfield full of cattle egrets are usually a sign that you've waited too long.

Pretty much what I do. Get down and paw around. Especially where I see damage. If you patrol early or late look at the field into the sun. The early damaged spots will look like they have frost on the grass. The perfect square window cut in blades is a dead giveaway. Also when the little white moths show up in the fields. I usually notice them first in the porch light.

callmefence":2ae7yhr7 said:
JMJ Farms":2ae7yhr7 said:
TexFarmer":2ae7yhr7 said:

worms.jpg

Pretty much what I do. Get down and paw around. Especially where I see damage. If you patrol early or late look at the field into the sun. The early damaged spots will look like they have frost on the grass. The perfect square window cut in blades is a dead giveaway. Also when the little white moths show up in the fields. I usually notice them first in the porch light.

They are a PITA to say the least. The last 3-4 years we've encountered a pest that's even worse in my book. Stem maggots. Do y'all have those Fence?

JMJ Farms":ivvwm3l9 said:
callmefence":ivvwm3l9 said:
JMJ Farms":ivvwm3l9 said:

They are a PITA to say the least. The last 3-4 years we've encountered a pest that's even worse in my book. Stem maggots. Do y'all have those Fence?

I don't have any experience but I've heard of them in Bermuda. Not a big problem here. I imagine because we're drier. Army worms are only a real problem in the fall except for unusually wet years. We only get about half your rain.

Brute 23":1elxgmtt said:
Yall have me paranoid now. :) They have them about 30 miles north of us but I haven't heard any reports in our area yet. I've been checking our hay fields every couple days now.

Armyworms are a PITA for sure. But if you watch for them closely you almost always have time to react before they ruin you. But you've got to be sitting on go and ready and that's not always convenient to say the least.

Stem maggots are a lot the same. But they are very difficult to detect until you see the damage. Bermuda grows a stem then splits into two leaves at a node. Then grows more stem and splits into two more leaves at another node and so one. These stem maggots get in the top node and bore through it, in effect killing the top two leaves and any future growth. So wherever your growth is when they attack, that's where it stays until you cut. Doesn't harm anything below the top node so if your grass is almost ready to cut it's not as devastating. If it's two weeks after the previous cutting then you've got a mess.

Only regiment we've come up with to combat them is to spray as a preventative measure at 7-10 days after a cutting and then follow up 7-10 days later with another spraying. I've been using 2 oz of Dimlin to the acre with good results and residual. It's not terrible expensive it's just two extra trips across the hayfield.

True Grit Farms":1682x0hc said:
I like bahia grass, fertilize it and forget about it till you're ready to cut.

Usually! But I have had them in good fertilized Bahia. About 4 years ago. Probably won't have any problems but I'd recommend keeping an eye on it.

JMJ Farms":2lrw2yc4 said:
True Grit Farms":2lrw2yc4 said:
I like bahia grass, fertilize it and forget about it till you're ready to cut.

Usually! But I have had them in good fertilized Bahia. About 4 years ago. Probably won't have any problems but I'd recommend keeping an eye on it.
I didn't need to read that, we've been gone for a week. So between the army worms eating the hay fields and cows dieing of who knows what our welcome home party might not be so grand. So I think I'll just have another bloody mary, cigar and worry about what's left when we get home.

Just before dark, I thought I should check Hayfield because it's coming on pretty good since it was cut 2 weeks ago. Guess what I found.... Them little demon basturds . Spray tank was ready so I Dumped in the chem and sprayed last night. Moths were everywhere so maybe I got them sob's too.