Army worms AGGGHHHHH

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Seeing how we've barely cut hay because of the rain, now, it may be gone because of the worms. Been spraying infected areas on our place, but, some of the hay we cut is custom and its up to the owner to do that. Had one just call saying a guy doing dirt work on his place said his grass was all infected.. We already cut that for hay, but should get a second cutting, maybe, maybe not now..

A cousin lives over in East Texas just outside of Nacogdoches. Said they had been spraying since last weekend. Huge infestations.

We got them stopped around the houses.. for now.... But its early and its possible for them to get another hatch now..

I just got done stacking 131 rolls and it started raining.
The next wknd I had army worms. It rained all week and couldn't get it sprayed until last Friday.
Unbelievable how much damage they can do in one week.
We fertilized and sprayed at the same time so hopefully we got them all or most of them.
There were a lot of dead ones Saturday and a few live ones but it could take up to 3 days to kill them all.

We got them stopped around the houses.. for now.... But its early and its possible for them to get another hatch now..
What kind of grass are they eating….Bermuda? Lots of people have them right now, I looked yesterday and didn't see any.

What kind of grass are they eating….Bermuda? Lots of people have them right now, I looked yesterday and didn't see any.
We have bermuda , dalas grass, with bahia creeping in... Not sure how they are on bahia. You can see them early by watching the grass. If you see it an off color, they are there. Or the tips of the grass looks burned by the sun.. they are there..

They sure have a big appetite. They can clean up a patch of grass faster than a bunch of cows doing intensive grazing. They are particular about what they eat - love the tender stuff that comes after the first rain that breaks a dry spell. They might leave you some stems.

Army worm: Dang this bahia is tough to eat, I wish we had some crab grass or Bermuda, that's my favorite and young and tinder makes it all that much better.

We have bermuda , dalas grass, with bahia creeping in... Not sure how they are on bahia. You can see them early by watching the grass. If you see it an off color, they are there. Or the tips of the grass looks burned by the sun.. they are there..
My hay patch was a desert last week but after spraying and putting 220lbs/acres of nitrogen and rain last week it's looking good.

Attachments

• 788CDE9D-FB1A-48FA-B91A-7EC3AA6C082A.jpeg
    788CDE9D-FB1A-48FA-B91A-7EC3AA6C082A.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
Everyone was running round here in a tizzy last week hollering army worms.
I checked and sure enough, pretty much everything except Johnson grass had worms. Grasshoppers and sugar cane aphids bad to. Gonna go ahead and spray I guess but the worms are gone. The heat finally rolled in and they're gone as last week's rain.

Latest posts