Army worms again

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
The guy that bales my hay lives right across the road from me and he keeps an eye on my hay meadows.
He called last week and informed me that the worms were back.
So he sprayed them again.
This is the first year I have had army worms, they hit me hard.
I should have had the third cutting stacked up.
This is something else.

3rd cutting…yep….I've pretty much given up getting the first in. Full of dried winter grasses and now matured/rank warm seasoned grass.

Sounds like maybe you should consider prevlathon. A bit pricey but has a long enough residual to break the life cycle of the worms. True army worm season is still 6 weeks away.
Been hot enough here to slow em down I guess. The grasshoppers are thriving for sure

Third cutting?? wow! Must be nice. My baler is supposed to come today for the first cutting, but all of the balers in the area have had equipment issues. I think they are struggling with getting the parts.

Third cutting?? wow! Must be nice. My baler is supposed to come today for the first cutting, but all of the balers in the area have had equipment issues. I think they are struggling with getting the parts.
My first cutting rye/clover got soaked for 10 days. I got 58 rolls but should have been a lot more. It's rolled up but I don't know if the cows will eat it.
Second cutting went good 131 rolls ,well fertilized and clean.
Looks like I may be fighting worms for another month and a half.
May have to use prevlathon.

Thursday evening we were checking the hay meadow and found army worms and sprayed Friday morning. This meadow had been cut two weeks ago. It's a mix of bermuda with some JG. For the most part the army worms were snacking on the JG.......in the past they've preferred the Bermuda. Been checking the Bermuda pastures and found a couple of areas of army worms and sprayed those. Looks like the spray is going to stay hooked up for awhile.

I sprayed Wednesday. Hit them hard. They were gone until today. I used LAMBDA-CY.

The worms were very small today, and less of them. I will hit again tomorrow.

We are now on our second round of Army worms in 6 weeks. Had hoped spraying the first time would have helped longer than a month. Is the only option to spray every time? I can't afford a 3rd or 4th invasion.

To add to above..
If you spray when the worms are very small especially with a pesticide with little residual. You'll always get them right back. You can bet if you don't see many big worms there's still alot left to hatch. unless the weather helps you out.
I'm still seeing the moths but no worms .

The guy that bales my hay lives right across the road from me and he keeps an eye on my hay meadows.
He called last week and informed me that the worms were back.
So he sprayed them again.
This is the first year I have had army worms, they hit me hard.
I should have had the third cutting stacked up.
This is something else.
What are army worms?

We used to use Sevin XLR and it worked great on army worms and grasshoppers. XLR.=extra long release. Has residual. Not sure if they still sell it

Latest posts