Arkansas Dog Pack

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was a kid, many years ago, this area had trouble with a pack of dogs running cattle. Many head were hurt as they went through fences etc. Local farmers put a notice in the paper that dogs would be shot on sight. My dad shot one, a German shepherd. Us kids were sworn to secrecy as this is farm country and you get along with your neighbors. The dog belonged to a family about 8 miles away and they went from place to place looking for their beloved dog who never left the farm. We kept mum even on the bus but interestingly this dog and others only chased cattle miles from their own home. At home the guilty dogs were no problem.
Another incident was a neighbor had cattle in stanchions in his barn all chewed up. The neighbor, a full of himself individual, blamed other farmers dogs and even had some dogs killed he said he knew did the damage. Then the attacks stopped. It turns out the neighbors OWN dogs were doing the damage, he never told anyone, no apologies etc. The only reason the truth came out was his kids told us on the bus. farmguy
PS just a few old memories

The pic indicates Great Pyrenees but doesn't say whether that breed is responsible in the article. Any additional info? Even though they're livestock guardian dogs, when dogs are running in a pack all bets are off. Horrific!

Probably just a file photo they threw up simply because it showed a dog with bared teeth but may have had no connection to the article at all.

I did notice when I went to Little Rock Arkansas last Nov, that there were dogs piled up around every convenience store and fast food drive thru I went to. Brother and sister-in-law said it was a big problem there.

True Grit Farms":19szluug said:
An AR 15 is good for assaulting dogs. How hard can it be to track a pack of dogs down?
It is hard sometimes. We had some problems 4-5 years ago. 7 dogs and seems all have disappeared except the 2 leaders. I have never found where they came from. Most of the bunch was 3+ miles from home.

True Grit Farms wrote:
An AR 15 is good for assaulting dogs. How hard can it be to track a pack of dogs down?

I agree with Kenny. In the case I mentioned they were a pack that ran cattle after dark and were the family pet or cattle dog during the day. Also I remember it was tried to get all farmers to tie up their dogs at dusk. A common reaction of those with guilty dogs was my cattle have not been chased because good ole rover is loose at night to keep them away.

kenny thomas":2ffqvdcx said:
True Grit Farms":2ffqvdcx said:
It is hard sometimes. We had some problems 4-5 years ago. 7 dogs and seems all have disappeared except the 2 leaders. I have never found where they came from. Most of the bunch was 3+ miles from home.

Dog can trot off 5 or 6 miles pretty quick amazing the ground they can cover.
We had a problem for years with a pack. Owner was known.
We think buzzards killed his dogs.

I lost a full grown healthy cow to 3 dogs one time. Shock of my life. I really didn't think that would ever happen. They kept her circled and fighting, till they exhausted her. Neighbor called me, and said it was going on. I honestly didn't believe her. I was wrong. I broke it up, and it took 3 days for the cow to die. They completely ate her vulva, and tore her neck all to pieces.

For all the negative stuff I have posted herabout donkeys, I currently have one that does its job. My own dog won't get out of the ruck, or off the 4 wheeler, when she is around. Somebody gave it to me to rope. We roped it about half the summer, and turned it out with the cows in late fall. It's got a home here as little my as it wants. I hadn't seen a coyote since I turned it out.

Bigfoot":igjpclf5 said:
I lost a full grown healthy cow to 3 dogs one time. Shock of my life. I really didn't think that would ever happen. They kept her circled and fighting, till they exhausted her. Neighbor called me, and said it was going on. I honestly didn't believe her. I was wrong. I broke it up, and it took 3 days for the cow to die. They completely ate her vulva, and tore her neck all to pieces.

For all the negative stuff I have posted herabout donkeys, I currently have one that does its job. My own dog won't get out of the ruck, or off the 4 wheeler, when she is around. Somebody gave it to me to rope. We roped it about half the summer, and turned it out with the cows in late fall. It's got a home here as little my as it wants. I hadn't seen a coyote since I turned it out.

I got an old Jenny that is over 40 and haven't lost a calf since I bought her twenty years ago.
A good donkey is priceless a bad one is worth the price of a 22 lr.
It's kinda like when you pick a puppy a crap shoot you got a great one or one not worth feeding.

I had a couple dogs show up randomly once on our land. Saw a few times and took pot shots at them with the .22. I wasn't going to kill them, but I wanted them to know what's up.

At one point in history, during a particularly hard winter, wolves took over the streets of Paris, and caused quite a few problems. Read a fictionalized account of it several years ago. Pretty interesting to think about since we, as humans, tend to think that we're unbeatable.

https://www.amazon.com/Wolves-Paris-Dan ... s+of+paris

When I was a child, I used to hear tell of packs of dogs running, some referred to them as wild dogs. I figured maybe they were strays or dropped dogs that got together. I never saw any of those packs but did see a bunch of instances of dogs from good homes out running cattle or mauling our goats. These days it's rare to see dogs running through the country like that, other than an occasional one getting loose and the owner goes searching for it pretty quickly. I think the coyote infestation has stopped a lot of the roaming dogs.

When I lived in Kansas, someone dropped off a pregnant White German Shephard. She welped & raised her litter. They were hunting machines. Everyone started carrying guns, because they actually attacked people in their barns.
A group got together and had a dog hunt.

Bigfoot":282fs1kc said:

Speechless. See above "horrific"!!!

Bigfoot":6sx3v8qj said:
That's exactly how they do it. And if there's water or mud for them to run her into, they'll sure do that too. They'll just stay on the edges and harass her till she's bogged down from trying to keep facing them and eventually just settles down into it. Nose neck and ear wounds are pretty good indications some kind of canines was after one and here, it's almost always someone's dogs but sometimes feral dogs..sometimes bite marks are right above the hooves.
They just kill 'em a little...at a time......I think because they enjoy it.

I had a dog a few years back that apparently packed up a few others from the neighborhood and I didn't know it. One afternoon I was leaving out the back door to go out to my building when I noticed three dogs were giving one of my nephew's mama cows he!! She had just delivered and they wanted the afterbirth and wasn't messing with the calf. She was doing her best to fight them off but I could see she was tired. I didn't have a rifle with me but I got close enough that they broke off and ran away from me. Later that afternoon I broke up that pack. I don't play with dogs when they get stupid.

Probably thirty years ago my grandpa had some dog issues. Figured he knew the owner and he was contacted. Owner refused to put them up and told him to just do what he had to. Big, aggressive type of dogs. My grandpa carried a 22, was all he had, so if he was lucky enough to catch them at the farm, about all he could do was pop off a dozen rounds, but I don't remember him saying he ever connected. He ended up going to his vet friend and getting something that makes raw meat balls taste real good. Those dogs had chewed the ears and tails off a couple of cows. I don't think they ever killed one luckily. Dogs are hard to catch in the act. They would hit one day, not hit again for a month, or maybe two days later.

Latest posts