Arkansas Cattlemen Take On the Black Headed Vulture

Help Support CattleToday:

I am concerned this problem is not going to be mitigated without some aggressive measures. I have thought there needs to be a study of how to reduce their population. Shooting them when the isolated opportunity exists just does not get the job done.

So far I haven't had any financial impact. I live 2 miles from a lake which is managed by Arkansas Game and Fish. They have a fishery and grow catfish in warm season and trout in cool season. These are in large cages that float.
I noticed these vultures a few years ago, in large numbers, around the tops of the cages. I'm not sure if they are eating the floating feed or the fish. This year I haven't seen any, so I wonder.......

Red Bull Breeder":1j09x6f4 said:
No Game Warden in this area will write a ticket for killing them on private land.

Your lucky your not in Texas those sorry bast@rds would ticket their own mother.
The sticker on the back of the truck has their heads so big their hats won't fit.

Red Bull Breeder":28xpvx79 said:
No Game Warden in this area will write a ticket for killing them on private land.
Had a guy in our area put out poison to kill hogs and the vultures ate the pigs and a lot of them died. The guy notified the GW and he was fined 10,000..
So, depends on where you are.

I know the best way to bust up the hoards. Shooting them is pointless because you'd never put a dent in them to make a difference.
They love fresh dead hogs. Bait a hog with a coke bottle of tannerite and a handful of pennies. Wait till the hog is covered and from a distance, shoot the coke bottle. When the pig is fresh, they keep away the brown vultures. If you happen to have a cow die, while fresh, you could use it also. Might could take out 50 that way.
Most people cant even tell the difference between the two, so thus the reason its illegal to shoot them. Many brown vultures would die needlessly...

Red Bull Breeder":16x22z5a said:
Most of them here either have cattle or there family does. They don't like the black bastards anymore than anyone else does.

Same circumstances in Kentucky. They just look the other way.

Years ago CB told us all how to put the hurt on the Mexican buzzards. Goat panels made into a trap with no bottom and a couple of holes big enough for the buzzards to get into bait. Then SSS.

Elephant poachers doctor the carcass with some kind of poison to kill the vultures showing up. Reason to keep the game wardens from finding them. Could be we need that poison here. Will say that we have had very few of them here this year.

cowgirl8":18h2nrxx said:
Red Bull Breeder":18h2nrxx said:
Had a guy in our area put out poison to kill hogs and the vultures ate the pigs and a lot of them died. The guy notified the GW and he was fined 10,000..
Why, pray tell, did he notify anyone?

Ryder":ckzy9g3i said:
cowgirl8":ckzy9g3i said:
Red Bull Breeder":ckzy9g3i said:
Why, pray tell, did he notify anyone?
Because he a good guy and it worried him. He had no idea that he'd be charged. He actually was charged with a felony, but for some loophole the felony charge will be erased as long as he pays the 10,000 fine.. The hogs had rutted up his 80 acre corn field, not once but twice.... I believe he got permission to use the poison, but failed to do something to keep other animals safe.. I don't know all the details, they kept it quiet because it was just a shock that he got in so much trouble and he was the one reporting it..

Latest posts