Argentina bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

The cattle look good. I might sound repetitive but I often wonder how they would do on the Owyhee Desert, or here through a Montana winter. It seems to me those countrys have lots of grass and really mild winters. Not only lots of grass but looks to be wheat grass and such. An animal that spends it's whole life with plenty of comodities will grow and look amazing. Take the average commercial operation and after that first year as a heifer it's just meeting demands of the cow. Do you think that cow is going to develop to her potential. You buy a bull from a breeder. Yearling; in most cases feed to reach max potential, two year old's feed to mantain a good target weight but be able to cover cow's and country. After that it's just maintain till three, four months prior to breeding. They might be grass feed cattle; but I dont think they would do good on any grass. Give me one of those two year old bulls fattened that well; I would put money on it; twenty five cows and some high mountain desert pasture I would have a lot of open cows and the bull wouldn't bring average slaughter price at the sale yard. But I could be completly wrong. Maybe they do have outstandin genetics. If so why do I hear about all these countrys that want US genetics? Argentina being one. Good lookin bull though

TB-Herefords":455q5sq9 said:
The cattle look good. I might sound repetitive but I often wonder how they would do on the Owyhee Desert, or here through a Montana winter. It seems to me those countrys have lots of grass and really mild winters. Not only lots of grass but looks to be wheat grass and such. An animal that spends it's whole life with plenty of comodities will grow and look amazing. Take the average commercial operation and after that first year as a heifer it's just meeting demands of the cow. Do you think that cow is going to develop to her potential. You buy a bull from a breeder. Yearling; in most cases feed to reach max potential, two year old's feed to mantain a good target weight but be able to cover cow's and country. After that it's just maintain till three, four months prior to breeding. They might be grass feed cattle; but I dont think they would do good on any grass. Give me one of those two year old bulls fattened that well; I would put money on it; twenty five cows and some high mountain desert pasture I would have a lot of open cows and the bull wouldn't bring average slaughter price at the sale yard. But I could be completly wrong. Maybe they do have outstandin genetics. If so why do I hear about all these countrys that want US genetics? Argentina being one. Good lookin bull though

What I have seen looking at pics of Argentina, it's not as lush and the normal cattle don't all look that good.Most of the Angus cattle are Ohlde breeding,so I think they would work for you.I figure it's a bull book and just like us they put nice pictures in it for promotion.

TB-Herefords

You are right about catalogue bulls, but it's the same everywhere...

Don't tell me that the american catalogues don't post pictures of really prepared bulls, even more, I have been there and a famous american angus bull was white in the end of the tail and in the catalogue was jet black.. :cboy:

We have indeed good pastures and mild winters.

A good point you said "why they import american genetics..??"

The answer is simple, we may have good genetics but we are third world countries and sooner or later we are not so serious as America. The vauable thing about american semen is the INFORMATION.

We trust that whatever you (american AI companies) tell us is correct, you don't BS numbers just to sell more semen (I hope :lol2: ).
We believe in YOU much more than we believe in us.

Sometimes, just because some of our neighbours are not very serious with the info they provide :roll: and mostly because we don't have the sires evaluations you have up there.

Anglo Saxxons (sp?) work a little better than us (latins), it has been like that through the history, just take a look at the countries that England conquered and look at the countries conquered by spaniards...we are different cultures, with our own good and bad things (we are much better organizing parties, dancing, and all that serious stuff... :lol: ).

You have BIG cooperatives whose members are serious farmers and the info they provide to the AI companies is vary valuable for us because we know is true what they tell us about such and such bull.

For example, a very good friend of mine has won every dairy show during several years in a row, he imports american embryos and his bulls are oustanding, guess what ? he can't sell a single dosis at one dollar down here because that bull doesn't has enough information.

Regards
L

Most of the Angus cattle are Ohlde breeding,so I think they would work for you.

Yep- Diamond D, Ohlde, and Wye breeding...All good for maternal qualities and finishing- especially grass finishing.....
Looks like the Argentinians are more into functional cattle rather than chasing who can raise the highest EPD numbers....

Had a look at the catalogue. The Braford bull has Australian breeding on both sides of the pedigree. Australians have sold lots of semen to Argentina, especially Braford breeders and some Red Angus and Brangus as well. Brahman semen has been sold to Brazil.
Colin

As I said in one of my previous topics, Australia has some outstanding brafords, they are a beauty and if everything continues like now with more and more cattle in the tropics due to agriculture expansion, those beatiful australian brafords you have will be very desired everywhere.

L

Lorenzo":3lk3fr6t said:
As I said in one of my previous topics, Australia has some outstanding brafords, they are a beauty and if everything continues like now with more and more cattle in the tropics due to agriculture expansion, those beatiful australian brafords you have will be very desired everywhere.

L

Yup, with land value, cost of production and the fact that young people can't get into the cattle business. Unless set up by a relative. And us old cattlemen dieing off. :cowboy: More and more beef will be imported, and South America has the land and climate. You maybe will have to get some marble in your steaks however. Lots of folks in the US love their juicy steaks. :nod:

Most likly I am just jealous. :mrgreen: To know how the bull would work in you enviroment you must try them.