Aren't you glad you live where you do.....

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm happy for them, it's always good when the people get what they want from elected officials. They have voted them in for years nows so obviously this is what they wanted. Maybe next they'll do away with the PD and they'll be on cloud 9!!!

There's no way I'd go anywhere near that place. I think the county we live in has 660,000 plus acres and a touch over 12,000 people. It's about right for me.

I'm very thankful to live where we do. We have our share of issues, but nothing like that. I always think it's interesting when big city folks act like they live in such great places and they have it all figured out and everyone should be like them, and us country folks are backwards and have things all wrong. They can have it. I'll take our lifestyle and my mountains and open spaces every day of the week!

Living probably is way down on their list. Pretty sad to see a human being in that kind of shape.

That's worse than being shot in the head. Living like that is nothing but constant suffering. But they don't want to die either, or they would let go. People like that have serious mental issues going on and just do what comes natural. That's to just keep taking the next breath until they don't have another one to take.

As a cattleman if you find a cow down like that with no hope you would put it out of it's misery.

The building across the street (that is San Pedro running left/right) is a 600 bed 11 story 3 tower homeless shelter and kitchen. The picture looks a few years old, as the current pictures of Weingart Center (formerly a hotel) are markedly different and the picture up above appears to be in colder months.
sanpedro.jpg
View from 6th St side.

sanpedro2.jpg

Check out some homeless videos on YouTube it breaks my heart. All homeless don't chose to be like that. Once they get to that point it's hard for them to get back up. How many homeless people would you hire? Plus most the homeless shelter they don't tell you they take a percentage of their checks. They can't stay there if they are on drugs or alcohol. Alot do have mental illness , drug addiction, alcoholics, ect. Shoot I would be if I was sleep in the street and everything I was wearing or carried. Yes, some do take advantage, to me if they want to spend all day faking being homeless thats not on me that's on them. 🤷🏽‍♀️ I'm to wore out to go on a big homeless rant tonight. 😉

I have had relatives tell me that I live in the middle of nowhere. I thank God everyday that I live here. The county I live in has a touch under 2 mil acres and a population of about 16,000. The 3 counties that make up the greater Portland area total just a little under the size of my county. There are 1.6 mil people over there. And I am pretty sure that all those homeless people don't show up in the census. I don't live in the middle of no where. I live in the middle of what God created. They live in the middle of filth, congestion, and people stacked on top of one another.

Sad to say but I'm not surprised by that. Apparently it isn't always a result of a particular political party in power of a state. Here all or certainly a high percentage of our politicians are conservative, the current governor is a liberal, but over the last several gubernatorial terms that has went back and forth. Our city and county has a combined population of around 36,429 per the most recent figure I could find. There is a significant size homeless population here too, In an effort to help the situation a church started a homeless shelter, From what I understand there is still quite a few folks not staying there. Nearly every trip to town we see folks that the assumption is that they are homeless. A fellow that used to work for us on the farm is among those. He is a sad story in that he grew up poor but was raised to work and he would work hard. He had some obvious mental disabilities and had become an alcoholic at an early age. When sober he was a good person to have around working on simple tasks, he had a reputation of stealing, but we never saw any evidence of that here. He finally got too bad off with his drinking to be even remotely dependable to work so we had to stop working him. His brothers that he worked for too had to stop as well. We all tried to help him over the years and he finally was able to get a disability check but that was what caused him to get worse with his drinking. He would go to the liquor store instead of paying his rent. We helped him get an apartment back and my mother actually went to the liquor store with him and asked them not to cash his check. Now from what his brother told me he has since lost his apartment again and is homeless.
Drugs and alcohol have ruined a lot of people,

Ky hills> What you just wrote hit home. One of my own embarked down a course of ruin and desolation without any regard to
any input from his mother or myself. I know it is a cliché but once the arrow leaves the bow and goes wide of the mark
it will for all intents and purposes miss the mark. My grandfathers family on my mothers side had a penchant for erratic
behavior especially in the Missouri- Kansas area. (that is as close a clue that I will give) and although there was never any
contact with them I do suspect a certain amount of genetic influence. I contribute a lot of the problem to compulsory addictive
behavior which no one knows they have until or unless they place themselves in that situation. I have no answer for it
other than avoidance of the temptation or prayer. LVR

Addiction is not a joke. Mental illness, is a problem that every single citizen of this country should be aware of, and be willing to help, with volunteerism, or tax moneys. It, the economy, can only benefit from this kind of help, more monies for education can only boost the economy with better ideas, scientists, engineers and so forth.You can disagree, but I'm not going to waste my time.

I got hooked on the drug addict hooker videos. They are sad. That Becky is really sad. One popped up as a recommendation one time on my youtube I thought it was a joke at first or something.

Marguerite is one my favorite he interviews.

What if the problem isn't with "them?" What if the problem is with everyone else and their inability to find tolerance and acceptance? People always gotta be like "Why can't you do that?" or "Why can't you do
this?".

Ky_hills that is sad to hear about the ex-employee. I don't know the fellow's history, but I will assume in his young days he went to the bar and drank because that is what people did. He could have done something different, but then he would be a weirdo. His peers would say come to the bar and drink with us. I think people such as this fellow have a lot to tell about what is wrong with society.

Snoopdog, I agree that addiction is not a joke. I believe in some cases, not all, mental illness is caused by an addiction.

@moses388 I think a lot of if not most cases of alcoholism and drug abuse, comes about from either peer pressure, or an individuals desire to fill some void or try to self medicate their troubles away. Problem is those substances cause more problems. The man I mentioned earlier should have ideally been in a group home from an early age as he wasn't fully cognitively capable of being on his own. His arrest record is probably pretty long, mostly just alcohol intoxication but a few more serious things at time due to him being drunk. Thankfully he has never had a driver's license or a car or he would have been in a real mess.

Ky hills> What you just wrote hit home. One of my own embarked down a course of ruin and desolation without any regard to
any input from his mother or myself. I know it is a cliché but once the arrow leaves the bow and goes wide of the mark
it will for all intents and purposes miss the mark. My grandfathers family on my mothers side had a penchant for erratic
behavior especially in the Missouri- Kansas area. (that is as close a clue that I will give) and although there was never any
contact with them I do suspect a certain amount of genetic influence. I contribute a lot of the problem to compulsory addictive
behavior which no one knows they have until or unless they place themselves in that situation. I have no answer for it
other than avoidance of the temptation or prayer. LVR
Sorry to hear about that situation LVR, I know that must be difficult. Addictions don't seem to be any respecter of persons, seems folks from all walks of life are susceptible. My father was an alcoholic, and even though he managed to function and hold responsible jobs it took a toll on others in the home. Our relationship was never what it could or should have been. My mother's brother was also an alcoholic. I reckoned to myself at an early age that I would not partake of alcohol. There came a point as very young man, that I decided to stare down the pain of the past so to speak. Thankfully, I realized quickly that when I started to take a liking to it, that the right thing to do was to walk away from it while I still could. My advice to any young person is that you are not missing a thing if you never drink or do drugs because all it does is cause pain to not only yourself but to all those around you.