Are you working the system?

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe the government pulled one on you there Dave. Got a 40000.00 job done for 9800.00......
I spent 4 hours measuring and taking notes. Spent a day and drove about 300 miles getting plumbing parts. Two 6 hour +/- days installing (the other two guys did most of the labor). So 24 hours time and drove 300 miles for $3,266. Subtract $150 for the driving at 50 cents a mile I made $129.86 an hour for my time. I would come out of retirement for a steady wage like that.
The CD guy told me that when he took the guy up there that bid $40,000 they saw 4 rattle snakes. I don't think he likes snakes and bid that high because he didn't want the job.

You need to smoke one to calm your nerves. Hahaha

Oh no Mr Thomas, that would clearly be a real bad time. I tried it a few times many years ago back in my high school days. I'd get so paranoid, like I'd imagine a bad acid trip or that bath salts would be like. And to think they say that stuff is even stronger now days. No thanks. It may help some folks, not for me. Make me think weird strange things not any any way calming nerves more like bad anxiety....
I thought one time before children I was in Colorado many moons ago remind you my brother lives there. We been driving them old road for many years to see his old butt. I got some edibles thinking maybe that would be different.... NOPE!! HECK NO!! Learned the lesson on that crap too. Bad time wasted my entire day. Come to think of it I'm still ticked about that crap. Waste of money and time. Have you know I went in the store bought some shoes 4 sizes big. At the time I thought they looked so good. Hahahaha no worries I wasn't driving. My husband was laughing when he kept telling me the shoes wasn't my size and I kept telling him sure they were I tried them on they looked great. On top of that I bought a moomoo. What the heck!! I tried it on right in the store over my clothes. Some elderly gma told me it looked so beautiful on me. I believe her booked it at a high rate of speed after getting side tracked 100 times buy lord only knows what. Than purchasing it. I spend over an hour in the gift shop drinking coffee. Why would anybody like that crap. I can clearly act a fool naturally without acting brainless. No need for that crap. Oh how I stood waiting on the automatic door to open... needless to say it wasn't automatic and the door didn't open itself. I kept looking at it wonderful why the automatic door wasn't working. I'm sure the hotel man thought I was a special kind of special. At least I wasn't wearing the Moomoo amd shoes 5 size too big. Yet I'm sure he see it all day every day. Bad time not doing that dumb crap again. And I sh#$ my pants. HuSH up!!! Bahahahahajajajaj!! Cheap coffee from the hour long gift shop adventure where I'd plan to hike. Hahahahaha. Want hear about the dying from diarrhea hiding behind a hay bail story. Bahahahaha. Next. Hahahaha

Last edited:
Yep that sums up why I don't smoke weed with Willy!! Haha anymore questions. Bahahahaha

Oh no Mr Thomas, that would clearly be a real bad time. I tried it a few times many years ago back in my high school days. I'd get so paranoid, like I'd imagine a bad acid trip or that bath salts would be like. And to think they say that stuff is even stronger now days. No thanks. It may help some folks, not for me. Make me think weird strange things not any any way calming nerves more like bad anxiety....
I thought one time before children I was in Colorado many moons ago remind you my brother lives there. We been driving them old road for many years to see his old butt. I got some edibles thinking maybe that would be different.... NOPE!! HECK NO!! Learned the lesson on that crap too. Bad time wasted my entire day. Come to think of it I'm still ticked about that crap. Waste of money and time. Have you know I went in the store bought some shoes 4 sizes big. At the time I thought they looked so good. Hahahaha no worries I wasn't driving. My husband was laughing when he kept telling me the shoes wasn't my size and I kept telling him sure they were I tried them on they looked great. On top of that I bought a moomoo. What the heck!! I tried it on right in the store over my clothes. Some elderly gma told me it looked so beautiful on me. I believe her booked it at a high rate of speed after getting side tracked 100 times buy lord only knows what. Than purchasing it. I spend over an hour in the gift shop drinking coffee. Why would anybody like that crap. I can clearly act a fool naturally without acting brainless. No need for that crap. Oh how I stood waiting on the automatic door to open... needless to say it wasn't automatic and the door didn't open itself. I kept looking at it wonderful why the automatic door wasn't working. I'm sure the hotel man thought I was a special kind of special. At least I wasn't wearing the Moomoo amd shoes 5 size too big. Yet I'm sure he see it all day every day. Bad time not doing that dumb crap again. And I sh#$ my pants. HuSH up!!! Bahahahahajajajaj!! Cheap coffee from the hour long gift shop adventure where I'd plan to hike. Hahahahaha. Want hear about the dying from diarrhea hiding behind a hay bail story. Bahahahaha. Next. Hahahaha
I laughed until I cried thinking about you doing that. Maybe that's the rest of the story. Hahaha

No Lulu, I think you've said enough.

Ken

I have no memory of the 70s at all (or the 80s, for that matter). There are definitely some things that are better now. Affordability of higher education is not one of them. People in my parents' and grandparents' generation could pay for a public school degree with part time work (so they tell me). Not so today.
Higher education is more "affordable" now, .....that is, IF you want to allow the government to "own" your education through subsidization (which everybody does any more)... and eventually, they'll forgive it entirely. Consider how many "options" have been created today in this field, compared to those available in the 70's, for example. Why is there an ad about every 10 minutes for one of the thousands of colleges operating out of every mall down the street? Because any kid that wants to go to college instead of going to work can get the money to go............ the college gets paid immediately, and if the kid defaults the government 100% guarantees the loans. Nobody in the industry ends up on the hook, EXCEPT EVERYONE THAT WILL EVER PAY TAXES.

And as an agriculturalist, I know the same is true for about every government program that is offered to us.... pretty much legalized prostitution/human trafficking. Bend over, and you can get yours............... and don't forget, every time you do, you're also committing your posterity to the same.............. whether they want it or not, they'll have no choice in the matter, as we've already signed their papers over.

U got a rake??
All I got was an old wore out ford and a couple scrawny jersey cows! O! And one longhorn heifer that wants to kill me every time she sees me..
Not to worry, we'll see the cause of death listed as Covid when she gets you.

Maybe the cause of death SHOULD be listed as "USDA government program"..........................

Make me think weird strange things not any any way calming nerves more like bad anxiety...

Wait. You are saying weed made you think strange things but your life (as you have been describing it all along..you love Chevys, you put beans in chili that really isn't chili, you want to kick dogs in the creek and smack grannies) is drug free?

Higher education is more "affordable" now, .....that is, IF you want to allow the government to "own" your education through subsidization (which everybody does any more)... and eventually, they'll forgive it entirely. Consider how many "options" have been created today in this field, compared to those available in the 70's, for example. Why is there an ad about every 10 minutes for one of the thousands of colleges operating out of every mall down the street? Because any kid that wants to go to college instead of going to work can get the money to go............ the college gets paid immediately, and if the kid defaults the government 100% guarantees the loans. Nobody in the industry ends up on the hook, EXCEPT EVERYONE THAT WILL EVER PAY TAXES.

And as an agriculturalist, I know the same is true for about every government program that is offered to us.... pretty much legalized prostitution/human trafficking. Bend over, and you can get yours............... and don't forget, every time you do, you're also committing your posterity to the same.............. whether they want it or not, they'll have no choice in the matter, as we've already signed their papers over.
Very well thought-out and well written commentary.

Wait. You are saying weed made you think strange things but your life (as you have been describing it all along..you love Chevys, you put beans in chili that really isn't chili, you want to kick dogs in the creek and smack grannies) is drug free?

I'm being sarcastic with that. Yes, I'm drug free, I can act a fool any day of the week naturally. I'd take a drug test any time if you like. I've watch to many people get mixed with drugs and alcoholics it's sad. Have you ever watch someone kill theirself slowly day by day nothing you can do to convince them to quit the doping. Dope addicts don't just hurt theirselfs, they hurt their friends, families, and everybody around them.

Mountaintown Creek Ranch never took a penny of Govt money.
We could have used it too, as we are in our 8th year building this Ranch.
Not a good time to build anything right now. The cost of this little ranch has quadrupled since we started.
Your message is interesting...when you say..."Not a good time to build anything" ....is that due to inflation costs I assume? And the cost of your ranch....are you speaking of the "value" increasing 4 fold or the cost to operate it?
I've back-burnered a lot of my planned 2022 projects, I'm hunkering down in idle mode this entire year unless the Divine steps in. I want to wait and see...what going to happen this year (economic wise, massive market correction, more inflation, stagflation) and what God has planned for me.

I'm being sarcastic with that. Yes, I'm drug free, I can act a fool any day of the week naturally. I'd take a drug test any time if you like. I've watch to many people get mixed with drugs and alcoholics it's sad. Have you ever watch someone kill theirself slowly day by day nothing you can do to convince them to quit the doping. Dope addicts don't just hurt theirselfs, they hurt their friends, families, and everybody around them.
It drives dope addicts crazy....when i tell them..... "I can't give you any money...I can't help kill what I love" They just don't understand why I'm never going to help participate in their death. They tell me things like .."it's my needed medicine you'll be helping me, stay safe". Don't feed death ever, love them without money.

I beg to differ. The line between success and failure is often razor thin, and one does not necessarily have to do anything wrong to land on tough times.

One doesn't necessarily have to do anything to land on tough times, but they sure have to have the right perspective, initiative, and direction to get over the tough times. If not, they can waller in them for eternity.

Your message is interesting...when you say..."Not a good time to build anything" ....is that due to inflation costs I assume? And the cost of your ranch....are you speaking of the "value" increasing 4 fold or the cost to operate it?
I've back-burnered a lot of my planned 2022 projects, I'm hunkering down in idle mode this entire year unless the Divine steps in. I want to wait and see...what going to happen this year (economic wise, massive market correction, more inflation, stagflation) and what God has planned for me.
It's the cost of lumber and the cost of metal roofing doubled and then doubled again during construction of the buildings.
Trying to get anything done in North Georgia is usually a challenge especially the last few years have been a construction boom in this area so everything takes three to four times longer than it should.
Long-term the ranch will be worth the amount of money we are investing however by the time we get it done it'll probably be upside down (no money owed, just not worth as much as we have in it) just due to material costs.
The economy was good and appeared to be headed in a good direction when we started, then everything changed and inflation started eating into the budget.
I personally am normally pretty optimistic however I do believe we will see a market correction in the future not sure how it will affect my family but pretty sure it won't be good for anyone .... Except maybe hedge fund managers

My husband informed me I was in the gift shop closer to 2 hours... remember the diarrhea.... had to spend an hour hiding in the bathroom and throwing away poop pants high trying to figure out how to leave bottomless without being noticed. I wasn't wearing that moomoo I bought.... lucky I could still wear the pants.... yea may have been more like 3 hours in the gift shop. Why would anybody like that feeling of not being able to think clearly to know what to do. Again I'm not even big on drinking but that head buzz isn't my thing and for it to last all day oh no. Bad time for me. As they say PERIOD! I was scared of the mountains it was ridiculous. I had to go sit in the hotel. Made a poptart sandwich with peanut butter cause I was to scared to leave to get food. Bad time. Kind of fun I guess now.... some stories may not be good for cattle time....

It's the cost of lumber and the cost of metal roofing doubled and then doubled again during construction of the buildings.
Trying to get anything done in North Georgia is usually a challenge especially the last few years have been a construction boom in this area so everything takes three to four times longer than it should.
Long-term the ranch will be worth the amount of money we are investing however by the time we get it done it'll probably be upside down (no money owed, just not worth as much as we have in it) just due to material costs.
The economy was good and appeared to be headed in a good direction when we started, then everything changed and inflation started eating into the budget.
I personally am normally pretty optimistic however I do believe we will see a market correction in the future not sure how it will affect my family but pretty sure it won't be good for anyone .... Except maybe hedge fund managers
Market Correction has been long overdue...they are propping up the system so it doesn't happen...but EVENTUALLY when it does...maybe 70% drop. I'm out of the market, safe on the sidelines...figure i'll step back in... in 25% increments when there's blood and crying in the streets. No sense in buying at the top of any market...patience will be rewarded. My belief is stagflation is coming...just higher prices without any real money movement...as people are holding tight to what little they have. I'm going into a holding pattern shutting down my projects too....i want to wait and see. Have lots of trees to thin out and barb-wire pulling...only cheap stuff this year.

I was fortunate to use all these years of low interest to my advantage. I have always had to self fund everything from buying the land, to the ponds, Buildings, fencing, and used cows. I agree with @TexasRancher; I know there is a correction coming. I know that it is going to affect my soon to be retirement. I remember the '70's and inflation. 18% interest for a home loan. Dad was in construction and couldn't buy a job. He went back to mechanic at a Ford and then a Pontiac dealership. I remember the late 80's and you couldn't hardly buy a job in Commercial construction. Now I am just going to keep things in neutral for the next couple of years. See how it comes out in the wash. 'They' say I could sell and make the big bucks. But wife has a few more years to go. It ain't much, but it's ours. While I'm at it, we paid as she went for my wives Bachelor degree. Finished that 5 yrs ago. College was not nearly as expensive until the Colleges found out that the Government was guaranteeing Student loans. That's when they let loose and started raising prices so ridiculously.

Latest posts