Are you working the system?

Help Support CattleToday:

Are we talking about the free Obama phones? I still see the portable shelters set up in town giving them away. I knew a lady that would use the minutes up and go back and get another phone will the full minutes. She had about 4 phones when I knew her.

I suppose it was easier to get by when you could just ride your dinosaur to school.
What an idiot! Apparently, I learned a hell of a lot more than you did! We didn't have to have designer clothes. new cars, and $500 tennis shoes to go to college, son. And those who did have them? They worked for them or their parents bought them,. not the taxpayers! I rode a motorcycle my 1st year at UGA, didn't have a car, and I made it just fine!!

Well we are certainly blessed to have someone of your intellectual ability and work ethic. Yes, things have changed a lot - for the worse.

Economically, yes they have.
With the dinosaur comment in regard to the mid-seventies, I assume the claim is that we have worse economic conditions now than in the seventies. I can't agree with that. I was already an adult in the 70's - some on here probably were not. But I have experienced both the 70's and the present. Around my area, the standard of living is better today. Better housing for sure. Better medical care. Better employment opportunities. Better recreational opportunities. More people in the middle class, especially minorities. Many families in the 70's had only one vehicle. Now, one for each family member with maybe a spare for pulling the travel trailer and the boat and the horse trailer - things that few people here had in the 70's. Better school facilities for sure (not claiming that the education is better, but maybe). Many more service and retail businesses, which I associate with economic improvement.
Things that have changed for the worse - Obesity. When we rode those dinosaurs to college, people were not nearly as overweight as they are today. Laziness - I think laziness increases with prosperity. Petty theft and home break-ins and respect for the police - way worse now. AND personal responsibility. People definitely want to present themselves as the victim now.

Do you remember the 70's differently? Maybe it is just me that improved my economic conditions - probably due to my sense of responsibility.

With the dinosaur comment in regard to the mid-seventies, I assume the claim is that we have worse economic conditions now than in the seventies. I can't agree with that. I was already an adult in the 70's - some on here probably were not. But I have experienced both the 70's and the present. Around my area, the standard of living is better today. Better housing for sure. Better medical care. Better employment opportunities. Better recreational opportunities. More people in the middle class, especially minorities. Many families in the 70's had only one vehicle. Now, one for each family member with maybe a spare for pulling the travel trailer and the boat and the horse trailer - things that few people here had in the 70's. Better school facilities for sure (not claiming that the education is better, but maybe). Many more service and retail businesses, which I associate with economic improvement.
Things that have changed for the worse - Obesity. When we rode those dinosaurs to college, people were not nearly as overweight as they are today. Laziness - I think laziness increases with prosperity. Petty theft and home break-ins and respect for the police - way worse now. AND personal responsibility. People definitely want to present themselves as the victim now.

Do you remember the 70's differently? Maybe it is just me that improved my economic conditions - probably due to my sense of responsibility.
I have no memory of the 70s at all (or the 80s, for that matter). There are definitely some things that are better now. Affordability of higher education is not one of them. People in my parents' and grandparents' generation could pay for a public school degree with part time work (so they tell me). Not so today.

Some memories may be unreliable - crime rates are generally lower now than they were then:

Those Liberal Arts degrees are money well spent by the American taxpayer I am sure. I would say out of the 10 most successful people I know ( business/ money wise) half didn't graduate high school.

My wife is one of 3 kids. Her parents offered to pay for her college and she declined. Did it all with scholarships, hard work and student loans has a diploma and a doctorate ( a real one Buck since I know how particular you are). They paid for the other 2 neither one finished. Is it about opportunity, obviously not.

I have been self employed for 20 years. Started with a beat up truck, a hammer and a hand set of post hole diggers. If I borrowed money I repaid it and have invested 3 college educations worth back into it. Got a fair amount more than that now and could have a lot more materially and financially but I have chosen to gauge my success in a different manner.

I am not in any way trying to brag and am well aware I have been blessed. I am only pointing out it wasnt handouts that got me blessed it was hard work and good fortune.

I have no memory of the 70s at all (or the 80s, for that matter). There are definitely some things that are better now. Affordability of higher education is not one of them. People in my parents' and grandparents' generation could pay for a public school degree with part time work (so they tell me). Not so today.

Some memories may be unreliable - crime rates are generally lower now than they were then:
Well that explains a lot. A product of the poor me generation. I narrowly missed it as I am in my 40's now or maybe I was just blessed with parents that taught me better. I do have a younger sister in her late 20's who has a college degree she paid for all on her own so I guess it can be done.

Well that explains a lot. A product of the poor me generation. I narrowly missed it as I am in my 40's now or maybe I was just blessed with parents that taught me better. I do have a younger sister in her late 20's who has a college degree she paid for all on her own so I guess it can be done.
Poor me? I'm blessed as well. Paid my own way and debt free. Not everyone is so lucky (and I will freely acknowledge that luck has a lot to do with it).

Never said I was, in fact exactly my point. Everyday average lower middle class raised me has managed success despite many hard times. I am not special but I am not a quitter or a poor me-er either. If I have my hand out it is to shake on a deal where I do honest work for honest pay not with my thumb up looking for a free ride.

If you land on a cactus you gonna lay there or get up and pick the spines out your azz? Same difference as hard times, I have encountered both.
You are right. We all live in the same cactus patch. Some cry about the thorns and others make cactus wine. It's all what you make of it.