Are you happy with your amount of cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
In response to Blackcowz topic, rather than ask how many cows you have, I'm asking are you happy with the amount of cows you have. It's been a weird year here (having to sell the vast majority ofour cows due to the lost pasture), but right now I'm happy with our 15 cows. Especially with a blizzard warning for today. When you have a lot of cows there's a lot more work. Plus we've pared it down to a very specific group of cows that we kept and will focus on that now. Should note we have 6 yearling heifer in the replacement pen now too.

Wish I could get where you are. :clap: I have too many but always want more. I'm trying to work it out in therapy! :help:

I suppose, for me, it all becomes about pasture management. I want just enough cows so I don't have to feed hay in the summer. That usually leaves the fields needing a brush hogging in the late spring. Obviously that number differs annually based on weather so some years I'll have to feed a little in the summer, some years I may have to brush cut a second time. But all in all I've found it to be the way to make the most amount of money with my resources.

When calving season is in full swing I wish we had more and when we sell the calves I wish we had more. Pretty much the rest of the time I wish we had fewer.

I wish I had more, if I had more land to put them on. As it is now, I'm on the border of having too many. With my job, part of what I base "too many" on is how much time I have to spend with them, like during hay season, calving season,a nd when I"m trudging through ten inches of mud and rain.

I'm happy with the amount I have.

But I'm about to buy 900 acres in 2 weeks. The government is paying him to stop milking cows and there will be a thing on the deed about no dairy cows on the land after July 1, 2009 for 10 years or something. He is leasing 300 acres of his alfalfa and one building back till the first cutting for 2 rounds of manner injection on 800 acres of it. I don't think I'm selling many cows this year.

I have to have perk and well test back before I can buy if they pass or not.

mobgrazer":znoj1zer said:

But I'm about to buy 900 acres in 2 weeks. The government is paying him to stop milking cows and there will be a thing on the deed about no dairy cows on the land after July 1, 2009 for 10 years or something. He is leasing 300 acres of his alfalfa and one building back till the first cutting for 2 rounds of manner injection on 800 acres of it. I don't think I'm selling many cows this year.

Too much dairy supply in the market?

iowahawkeyes":1grmv41k said:
In response to Blackcowz topic, rather than ask how many cows you have, I'm asking are you happy with the amount of cows you have. It's been a weird year here (having to sell the vast majority ofour cows due to the lost pasture), but right now I'm happy with our 15 cows. Especially with a blizzard warning for today. When you have a lot of cows there's a lot more work. Plus we've pared it down to a very specific group of cows that we kept and will focus on that now. Should note we have 6 yearling heifer in the replacement pen now too.

Depends on what you mean by "a lot" ? My Dad used to tell me, "if your gonna mess with 20, you may as well mess with 50!" :nod:

Limomike":1naz0ohr said:
iowahawkeyes":1naz0ohr said:

Depends on what you mean by "a lot" ? My Dad used to tell me, "if your gonna mess with 20, you may as well mess with 50!" :nod:
that's a fact.

Ok with the number of cows, not happy with the rainfall pattern. Will soon have to adjust the one I have control over.

1982vett":2g43qulf said:
Ok with the number of cows, not happy with the rainfall pattern. Will soon have to adjust the one I have control over.

We sure need a rain, don't we?

Cow numbers - I want three times what I have but I may have three times what I need.

George

alacattleman":3581jpmx said:
Limomike":3581jpmx said:
iowahawkeyes":3581jpmx said:

that's a fact.

lol, at this point in time that's like saying "why lose a little when you can get bigger and lose a lot". :lol2:

HerefordSire":2p100s6a said:
Too much dairy supply in the market?

I can remember every 5 years the government will come in and buy out the dairy in this county. We will have 8 left when he shuts down on June 1. He is giving his calving operation workers $5,000 bonus today and tomorrow they move that operation down to a different dairy. The other dairy will hire all of them if they want to take the job for the same money and vacation time. He says on Friday morning he is going to fire all of them being late all the time. They start on Monday at the new farm if they want the job.

They buy all the milking stuff and put a thing in the deed saying you can't raise dairy cows on the property for 10 years. Part of the milking stuff they take and part of it gets trashed and left in place. I guess it has something to do with the market but if they take the buyout they get the info and have to sign a weaver about telling the good info.

Limomike":2p100s6a said:

If you going to have 50 have 500 :tiphat:

mobgrazer":2dc1d8j2 said:
If you going to have 50 have 500 :tiphat:

:p Sure, let me go get the checkbook.
Herefords.US":2dc1d8j2 said:
We sure need a rain, don't we?

George

Yep, I notice the area that needs rain is getting bigger. Not a good sign.

Herefords.US":2dc1d8j2 said:
I want three times what I have but I may have three times what I need.

I don't think I could stand 3 times the prosperity. :lol2:

I am happy for the time being. I like to grow slow, retaining my own females to increase numbers. And I wholeheartedly agree with whoever said if you have 20 you might as well have 50. Depending on your resources, most people could go from 5 to 20, or 20 to 50, or 50 to 80, or 80 to 120, or whatever and not really increase the workload a tremendous amount.

I'm over 550 breeders right now and depending on what I see in the next 100 days of what I have I will be over 625

mobgrazer":30mb0epw said:

man you have me confused on this statement.ive never heard of a gov dairy buyout that you cant milk cows for 10yrs.there was a program 15 or 20yrs ago if the gov bought your herd you couldnt milk on the same farm for 2yrs.an few old smart dairymen just rented another barn.an bought another herd.theres a cwt herd buyout.an on that you can haul cows an heifers to an approved sale barn an sell them.an then fire your barn back up the next morning an go back to milking.come to think of it.i think you can keep all your heifers.

as for the number of cows i have.im always buying cattle 2 or 3 times a year if i can.unless i buy all i want at 1 time.take 2009 im planning on buying some more cows.you can never have to meny cows.

According to him all the land in his name gets a thing in the deed where you can't keep milking cows on the property. I will find out on Friday when I see the paper work. As long as I can keep beef cows on it I don't give a darn. The government might of gotten a bit smarter on how they work it now bigbull.

Latest posts