Are you happy with your amount of cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

i dont know what the gov is doing.but ive always been smart enough not to sell out to them.sounds to me like the epa mightve fixxed it so he can no longer milk cows.i know of 1 dairy that they redtagged.an they cant milk cows there no more.

mobgrazer":1ttrgao5 said:
I'm happy with the amount I have.

But I'm about to buy 900 acres in 2 weeks. The government is paying him to stop milking cows and there will be a thing on the deed about no dairy cows on the land after July 1, 2009 for 10 years or something. He is leasing 300 acres of his alfalfa and one building back till the first cutting for 2 rounds of manner injection on 800 acres of it. I don't think I'm selling many cows this year.

I have to have perk and well test back before I can buy if they pass or not.

Why don't they just try lowering the milk price back down to about $2.50 a gallon where it use to be? If milk wasn't so overpriced people would start drinking it again, I know I cut way back, use to drink alot of it. Somebody has their head in their rear, seriously!

iowahawkeyes":198nkcbp said:
In response to Blackcowz topic, rather than ask how many cows you have, I'm asking are you happy with the amount of cows you have. It's been a weird year here (having to sell the vast majority ofour cows due to the lost pasture), but right now I'm happy with our 15 cows. Especially with a blizzard warning for today. When you have a lot of cows there's a lot more work. Plus we've pared it down to a very specific group of cows that we kept and will focus on that now. Should note we have 6 yearling heifer in the replacement pen now too.

I hope to triple in size over the next two years, and if I find a little more land I may go four times the size of what I have.

RD-Sam":1z2l37bg said:
mobgrazer":1z2l37bg said:

But I'm about to buy 900 acres in 2 weeks. The government is paying him to stop milking cows and there will be a thing on the deed about no dairy cows on the land after July 1, 2009 for 10 years or something. He is leasing 300 acres of his alfalfa and one building back till the first cutting for 2 rounds of manner injection on 800 acres of it. I don't think I'm selling many cows this year.

Why don't they just try lowering the milk price back down to about $2.50 a gallon where it use to be? If milk wasn't so overpriced people would start drinking it again, I know I cut way back, use to drink alot of it. Somebody has their head in their rear, seriously!
the gate price at the farm is less than $12/100 now.so the dairymen isnt making money off the store price of milk.

bigbull338":2tabx7eo said:
the gate price at the farm is less than $12/100 now.so the dairymen isnt making money off the store price of milk.

And the price to the farmer has fallen to the level that the gov is buying and warehouseing the milk powder. Because of the relative strength of tha dollar overseas milk exports have dropped significantly

bigbull338":2ouhgtgj said:
RD-Sam":2ouhgtgj said:
mobgrazer":2ouhgtgj said:

Sounds like another case of the middle man taking advantage of the farmer. It might be time to break out the old milk delivery trucks like the old days, let the dairy farm deliver their milk to the residence direct so they can make a good profit and the consumer gets a good deal.

dun":2kl1kbia said:
When calving season is in full swing I wish we had more and when we sell the calves I wish we had more. Pretty much the rest of the time I wish we had fewer.

Yep, what dun said. :nod:

RD-Sam":1z0i3d9f said:
mobgrazer":1z0i3d9f said:

Yep but the price to the dairyman is dirt cheap right now. And feed prices at an all time high. The primary "middleman" taking advantage of the farmer right now is the milk coop that buys the milk. I don't think they can even tell you how they determine milk prices these days.

mobgrazer":2uy8ssu3 said:

Sounds like another case of the middle man taking advantage of the farmer. It might be time to break out the old milk delivery trucks like the old days, let the dairy farm deliver their milk to the residence direct so they can make a good profit and the consumer gets a good deal.

Sounds like a good idea to me.

brandonm_13":mdmqf0jq said:
mobgrazer":mdmqf0jq said:

If the new milkmen would also bring a loaf of bread, I wouldn't have to stop off at the grocery store near as much.

Yep, then you could have steak sandwiches and a glass of milk at a good price! :lol2:

brandonm_13":1tf032qd said:
mobgrazer":1tf032qd said:

It would be the best tasting milk you've ever had unless you've had the opportunity to drink it out of the tank on the dairy....awesome :banana:

bandit80":1w79f2wy said:
I am happy for the time being. I like to grow slow, retaining my own females to increase numbers. And I wholeheartedly agree with whoever said if you have 20 you might as well have 50. Depending on your resources, most people could go from 5 to 20, or 20 to 50, or 50 to 80, or 80 to 120, or whatever and not really increase the workload a tremendous amount.
Ditto.

I would like to double the size of the registered herd, but do it slowly without buying in and double the commercial herd and irrigated pastures as well. Since I am wishing for bullshite I might as well add that I'd like to quadruple the amount of rain we get and divide it equally between the 12 months.

KNERSIE":1k4i4hdn said:
I would like to double the size of the registered herd, but do it slowly without buying in and double the commercial herd and irrigated pastures as well. Since I am wishing for bullshite I might as well add that I'd like to quadruple the amount of rain we get and divide it equally between the 12 months.
:lol2: Spit in one hand and wish in the other to see which one gets full first, eh?

KNERSIE":3lwu9bl5 said:
I'd break that down to weeks. I't has been known in recent times to rain 8-10 inches in a couple days and not rain again for 30-40 days. Does about as much good as getting 2/10ths every 20 days. But I agree with your basic plan.

1982vett":1xb650nt said:
KNERSIE":1xb650nt said:
I'd break that down to weeks. I't has been known in recent times to rain 8-10 inches in a couple days and not rain again for 30-40 days. Does about as much good as getting 2/10ths every 20 days. But I agree with your basic plan.

I'd take 8/10 inches about now,2/10ths wont fill many tanks.