Are you an avid camper and hunter

Help Support CattleToday:

Two of the people attacked died. Patti Reed McConnell 38, who was moving from Texas to Alaska with her two children and Ray Kitchens 57, a truck driver from Ft Nelson who tried to save her. Patti's son Kelly 13, survived the mauling as did Arie-Jan van der Velden 28 of Calgary, who was also mauled trying to save Patti, Kelly and Ray.
Pattie had been livin' in east Texas (i think around Paris) before her move.They had an artical about the attack in our local newspaper because she had lived down near the Gulf Coast.They also said at the time that black bears don't go after meat but they found out differently.By the way,you people that live up in east Texas ,be on the lookout ,they said in todays San Antonio Express that the black bear are coming back into the state.

Locally there have been quite a few black bear sightings here. I guess I'll have to start packing something a little heaiver than the .410 while checking the cows this calving season. Wildlife Officer says that the critter that tried to get into the neighbors spring house had to be a bear. They claim they had seen him on the back side of the farm. And I saw the claw marks on the door. :shock:

That pics a fake. I bear hunt in Maine. After I returned from a trip that picture was hanging around the plant at work but it was me in the pic. I won't give you the caption. Someone did a search and proved the whole thing was a fake.

More on that big old bear from Snopes. They claim it's a true story, but with quite a twist.

There was a VERY graphic photograph of the remains of one unfortunate man that was killed by a bear :cry: , so I'm just going to cut and copy. Those with a stronger stomach can find the story on Snopes in the animal photos category.

~

Bear Hunt

Claim: Photographs show an enormous bear killed by an Alaskan hunter.

Examples: [Collected on the Internet, 2001]

Origins: The basic story here is true although some of the details are wrong, perhaps because two different recent incidents of very large bear killings in Alaska have been conflated into one.

The bear pictured above was killed in November 2001 by a hunter (not a Forest Service employee) who came across it while he was deer-hunting in Alaska. As he described the event on the message board at HuntingNet.com:
My partner and I ran into the unexpected . . . "BIG ARSE URSUS"! The bear was shot 10 yards away (no zeros missing in that figure my friends) in the head with a .338 Remington Winnie, using 250 grain Nosler handloads, followed up with two shots to the vitals. A very quick clean death.

We were working up a creek, headed for the mountains to hunt blacktail. He was coming down the creek, hunting for the last of the spawning Coho in the creek. We initially spotted him from 40 yds off. As a matter of fact we were glassing the bear over the high brush just behind the bear when we spotted him.
Here's another photograph of the hunters posing with their ursine prey:

The pictures of the November 2001 shooting became confused with a later account of a killing, also in Alaska, of another very large bear. This incident, as described by the Associated Press, took place on 21 April 2002 in Anchorage:
Sigfredo Casiano, 28, was hiking to a camp site near Swanson River Road Sunday morning when he heard a noise in nearby woods. Initially, Casiano thought a moose was making the noise but he removed the safety from his rifle as a precaution, troopers said.

Soon after, a brown bear appeared about 10 feet away and began moving toward him.

Casiano fired one shot with his rifle, striking the bear behind the skull. The bear collapsed and Casiano man fired several more shots.

The bear was described as a male between eight and nine feet tall.

A moose carcass was found nearby and the bear was probably protecting the find, troopers said.
The pictures shown above are from November 2001; none of them is a photo of the bear killed by Sigfredo Casiano in April 2002.

In 2003 another photograph began to be circulatedin conjunction with the pictures shown above, purportedly showing a human victim who was the bear's "last meal":

Although this is a genuine photograph of human remains gnawed by one or more animals, it has nothing to do with the bear pictured above. This photograph comes from a completely different source and was only tacked on as an addendum to the bear story after both had been circulating independently for over a year.

Last updated: 18 October 2004

i've always liked elk and deer hunting myself. hunt more elk than deer though. i'm always more concerned about comin up on a lion or a bobcat. we have bears, but they normally run the other way. course, we had a young bear running around the campus of the community college here last summer diggin in trash barrels. they ended up killing it because it kept coming back after being chased off.

catl":4ll8m2k2 said:
By the way,you people that live up in east Texas ,be on the lookout ,they said in todays San Antonio Express that the black bear are coming back into the state.

I read that TPWD is bringing the bears back into their original natural habitat which included east Texas and Louisiana.

On another note, I saw a black bear cross Hwy 90 one night between Hondo and Uvalde. It's been several years back though. I know that they have them in the Davis Mountains.

I worked for a year on Afognak Island which is the next island north of Kodiak. I use to have a picture I took of both of my size 11 feet standing on the inside a single bear track. We all carried big pistols while at work but our standard joke was to shoot the bear five times and save the last one for yourself. When I was outdoors there and not working (free hands) I carried a 375 H&H. No use bringing a pea shooter to a gun fight.
Dave

A 45 apc for bears? A back up gun for black bears maybe. For Brown bears or grizzlies...... be sure to save that last round.

Dave

If you know the history of the 45ACP, I feel with hard ball, hollow point,hard ball rotation, it makes a good backup gun. ask any military man stationed in alaska. next best thing is a shotgun with slug,shot,slug. :cboy:

Reading these posts I had to smile. My brother used to live in Alaska and worked on the north slope. While there he bought an elephant gun. He figured if it stopped an elephant that it would stop a polar bear.

He did see a large polar bear while driving between camps. He saw a big pile of snow and thought it would be fun to drive over it. Well better sense prevailed, because he remembered how far it was to the next camp just in case he wrecked the veheicle. Well to make a long story short, that mound of snow stood up and was an extremely large polar bear. My brother sure hoped that the bear did not want to crack that particular nut and get the goodie out of it.

cul8r":3hergar9 said:
catl":3hergar9 said:
By the way,you people that live up in east Texas ,be on the lookout ,they said in todays San Antonio Express that the black bear are coming back into the state.

I read that TPWD is bringing the bears back into their original natural habitat which included east Texas and Louisiana.

On another note, I saw a black bear cross Hwy 90 one night between Hondo and Uvalde. It's been several years back though. I know that they have them in the Davis Mountains.
They did turn some black bears out in La. Last I heard they were having a merry old time tearing up people's camps.
Of course they will not harm people. Yea sure. :roll:

AZ I have heard that if you need it, that .454 recoil doesn't bother you at all.

Ryder,
Whoever told you that the recoil on a .454 didn't bother then..... they may not be telling the truth. Having worked in grizzly/brown bear country give me a rifle, most any rifle, over any pistol. I had a friend mauled by a bear on Kodiak, a couple of friends who were in have to kill'em situation, and I got chased up a tree by a brownie on Afognak while packing a 44 mag. The only real protection in that country is a magnum rifle. If you pack a pistol for protection in brown bear country be sure and save that last shot.
Dave

Knew a guy who guided raft fishing trips to isolated rivers in Alaska. When clients asked if they should bring 44 mags or similiar weapons he told them to get a 12 gauge 8 shot pump and load it with rifled slugs. He also advised that if charged by a bear to pump all 8 rounds into the bear. He said it would be the only thing that might stop them.

Dave":3h23rd3k said:
Ryder,
Whoever told you that the recoil on a .454 didn't bother then..... they may not be telling the truth. Having worked in grizzly/brown bear country give me a rifle, most any rifle, over any pistol. I had a friend mauled by a bear on Kodiak, a couple of friends who were in have to kill'em situation, and I got chased up a tree by a brownie on Afognak while packing a 44 mag. The only real protection in that country is a magnum rifle. If you pack a pistol for protection in brown bear country be sure and save that last shot.
Dave
Can't argue with experience-yours not mine. Would it be safe to say that you don't have a lot of faith in :roll: that pepper spray for bears?

There is a joke in bear country about wearing bells so you don't accidentally suprise a bear and packing pepper spray. They say you can tell brown bear poop because it has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
Dave

Dave":3tpe8zed said:
There is a joke in bear country about wearing bells so you don't accidentally suprise a bear and packing pepper spray. They say you can tell brown bear poop because it has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
Dave

That is one of my favorite jokes. I have also heard that the difference between a black bear and a grizzly is that a black bear will clime a tree to eat you. The grizzly will push the tree over.

In any case, the bear in the picture is huge!

Here is a website I made for my Dad's friend that owns a hunting/fishing lodge in Alaska. Lock on the "Southeast Alaska Hunting" page for a couple of pictures of black bears they have taken there. They really aren't that big. I have a picture of a grizzly they took last year but I haven't finished that page yet.

http://www.treetopslodge.net

Also, and critiques on the site would be greatly appreciated, it is still in the 'construction and design' phase :D

Latest posts