Are there any good off-the-shelf latches for a tube gate?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Looking for some bolt on latches for Preifert or Tuff Mac type gates. Seems like I saw one posted in a 'cow pen' thread months ago, but can't find the thread now---anyone know of a good one? I'd like something similar to what Preifert uses on it's sweep gates, but doesn't have to be that heavy--just a positive latch that cattle won't be bending up. It would be nice if it just clamps on using "U" bolts instead of a weld on design.
anything?

Kathie in Thorp":3ep1g1ah said:
Greybeard, the ones we have are blue, rather than red, but this is the type latch we put on virtually all of the gates in our handling system this Spring. Love 'em! http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ci_sku=25572&gclid=CIiq9JPIjLgCFU_ZQgodHCMAyw
I have some of those Kathie--I was hoping for a more positive latching device and that maybe someone was marketing a bar latch system that would bolt on to a tube gate using U bolts--something like this--but these are welded on and as far as I know, you can only get them as part of a Priefert gate. I wanted something I could very quickly throw open and closed--if I had to exit a pen in a hurry. Ain't as young and can't climb as I used to.
http://www.lonestarranchandoutdoors.com ... ate_lg.jpg

I have found a bolt on latch like I wanted. Pricey at over $100 msrp and haven't found a distributor. Uses u-bolts to bolt up to a panel or tube gate.
I won't advertise who makes 'em but here's what they look like.

1n3b.jpg

I've got the same as kathie does on almost all my gates now. With kids always around its a good way to make sure they are positively latched instead of just throwing a chain or rope on something

We have one or two others, Hook -- not sure how to describe them. It's like a single trip latch -- not double-sided. Post-mounted, pull it up/drop it down. But same idea as those we both have.

Kathie in Thorp":23ach1cn said:
We have one or two others, Hook -- not sure how to describe them. It's like a single trip latch -- not double-sided. Post-mounted, pull it up/drop it down. But same idea as those we both have.
You described them correctly--it's a one-way latch for gates ya don't need to swing in both directions.
I don't have that particular latch but do have some that have a little toggle bar that swings down. Sold at a chain store that deals in farm and tractor type stuff.

Latest posts