Are Shetlands Extinct?

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
I used to see Shetland ponies advertised in our Farmer's Bulletin all the time. Now they are virtually gone and there are plenty of miniature horse ads. Where have all the Shetlands gone? Isn't there one registry for Shetlands and miniatures?

Funny you should ask, I just started to get back into the ponies.There is Reg Classic, Modern,over and under,then minis.Its wonderful fun!! I purchased a beautiful black classic,by CH MICKEYS GILLEY( HOF) and CONGRESS CHAMPION
you can find more of these ponies at dreamhorse.com. :lol:

J. T.":1bdstxs1 said:
Where have all the Shetlands gone?

Perhaps their general disposition resulted in a reduced demand? My personal opinion is this - there are too many good, even-tempered, gentle, reliable, well-broke horses out there to put up with the nasty, bad-tempered, mean, ugly disposition/temperament of a Shetland pony. ;-)

2 Shetlands for sale here in McDade-Both are very light blue/grey roan frame Overos 'bout 10-11 hands" male and female"(thats the ad in the P.O.)

msscamp":35xznouh said:
J. T.":35xznouh said:
Where have all the Shetlands gone?

Perhaps their general disposition resulted in a reduced demand? My personal opinion is this - there are too many good, even-tempered, gentle, reliable, well-broke horses out there to put up with the nasty, bad-tempered, mean, ugly disposition/temperament of a Shetland pony. ;-)

That's funny :lol: :lol: .My husband had a Shetland when he was little and he will never get on a horse again.I think his bottom is still sore ;-) .

Boy I sure hate generalizations...................all Shetlands are not nasty. All Arabs are not hot and crazy, all TB's are hot etc............ :roll:

Hipy":3oc0xvjb said:
Boy I sure hate generalizations...................all Shetlands are not nasty. All Arabs are not hot and crazy, all TB's are hot etc............ :roll:

Do you think Shetlands, Arabs and TB's got those reputations by mistake? I think they earned it, because most are.

Alan

Well,think about what Shetlands go thro..Rider that doesn't have a clue- :shock: feed way to hot for something that evolved on forage so poor that growth was stunted just to survive.
Arabs -if you try to overpower them,as many men do,they will fight to the death.
TB--inbred speedsters..Not bred for dispostion,only speed..It's a wonder some of them are sane..

I bleave it to be all in training!! I have proven that fact over, and over again.RFD TV has a shetland show there puting on this mo the 14th 1-2pm and the 21st 1-2pm.
My arab was an ambassador to Japan, why because he put up with all the camaras clicking and the people acting like cowboys on him. They don't need to act silly! The ones that are, are taught how to act that way!!
Cindy

Hipy":29foddr3 said:

You can hate generalizations all you want, but the fact of the matter is that any particular breed earns their reputation. I do not recall anyone stating that the reputation was all inclusive, either.

All breeds of horses have their share of nuts..... some breeds just have a much larger share.

Alan

I've owned several shetland ponies in the past and right now our 17 year old son has a mini registered in the shetland registry. Wilbur is 5 years old and a gem. He drives and will do a showmanship pattern like a quarter horse.
I like shetlands, and they are great little ponies if they have been treated fairly and properly trained.

The reason that shetland ponies have a bad rap is because of how they are treated. You would have a bad disposition too if you were forced to carry loads that are too heavy or ridden to death by kids. How many times have you heard someone say that when they were a kid, they would make their pony buck their friends off? Now people are better educated and more aware of how their actions affect their horses/ponies.

Rider and handler error cause bad dispositions.

I would never buy one for my kid. When riding with full size horses a child will be just the right hight to get kicked. 90% of the time with horses of the same size the horse will take the lick.

chippie":3g0shcii said:
The reason that shetland ponies have a bad rap is because of how they are treated. You would have a bad disposition too if you were forced to carry loads that are too heavy or ridden to death by kids.

You have a valid point, chippie, but that was not the case with our Shetlands - they were never mistreated, nor were they 'ridden to death', they just had bad dispositions.

How many times have you heard someone say that when they were a kid, they would make their pony buck their friends off?

Actually, never.

I have noticed hat most breeders are trying to breed ponies/horses with more intelligence.They do NOT need to be bad tempered.It all comes down to training!!!The upper end ponies are awsome.There are grades out there, but I have seen even grade ponies who were TRAINED RIGHT and that is the key word, perform very well with kids.My favorite pony was a grade bay Shetland that was trained to ride and drive.I was never home because I had wheels!! :D