Are hereford bulls Sissys?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly

Reaction score
Last month I sold my friend my 6 year old hereford bull.
He was big and thick, 22 to 2400#.
He runs all his cows and bulls together, we do not.
He had a four year old black gelbvieh, 3year old Limo and a yearling [1200#] Simental...
All three kicked my old bulls butt. My friend found him hiding in the woods.
I told him I would take him back and sell him by the pound, no problem.
He said he could do the same thing and probaly make a little money on him.
Trouble is I've been telling him he needed some British blood in his herd for years and this was my opportunity to convince him. That old hereford made some great calves.
Now he is convinced Herefords are Sissys!!
Has anyone had a Hereford bull that dominated bulls of other breeds.
When I saw his bulls, I thought, No Problem! I was wrong.

Hillbilly

We have had several Herford bulls that were dominate. Problem with your bull is that he was the new guy and it was 2 to 1 so he got beat. Bring one of thoses bulls into his pasture and it might be a different story.

We've had Hereford bulls win and loose against other makes and models. Never had a horned Hereford bull loose, ever. But that's a moot point because nowadays we only buy bulls without the horn option. A lot of it might have been stamina. He didn't get a chance to rest and every time he looked up he had to take on a fresh bull. That might be a case of him not being a wimp but deciding to get over the soreness of his first go-around and then pick his battles one-on-one. The whole pecking order thing might not be over yet.

Craig-TX

My horned Hereford took on two black Angus at once, one of them was limping at the end of it. My new polled bull is so much bigger, it is no contest either.

Had to sell the best polled hereford bull I ever owned a few years back whipped my neighbors Brangus, neighbor wasn't happy about the whiteface calves. Didn't help when I mentioned a stud fee wasn't near as funny to him. Hot wire didn't mean anything to him he was going to fight. I sold him to another neighbor about six miles away, had to sell him went through fences on both sides and whipped both of his neighbors bulls. Just goes to show you can get a fighter in any breed.

greenwillowherefords":hmxaf6ti said:
My horned Hereford took on two black Angus at once, one of them was limping at the end of it.
Okay, Willow. I guess you Hereford folks will need some kind of new Exorbitant Progeny Dysfunction for that trait, huh? I suggest the BA EPD to accurately predict the Bad-Ass bull....... ;-)

Texan":2fhb3hgs said:
greenwillowherefords":2fhb3hgs said:
My horned Hereford took on two black Angus at once, one of them was limping at the end of it.
Okay, Willow. I guess you Hereford folks will need some kind of new Exorbitant Progeny Dysfunction for that trait, huh? I suggest the BA EPD to accurately predict the Bad-Ass bull....... ;-)
Actually, a Hereford usually doesn't go looking for a fight, but they usually end it when it is brought to them, I think. It has been my observation that some bulls will fight while cows are in heat; Herefords would rather breed than fight. Richard Day sold a bull to a former county ext. agent who had two other breeds. When calving season came, over 60% were white-faced. Back me up here, Campground!

Ive trained my hereford bull to eat Gelbviehs for protein but only if provoked, haha seriously though been in however many other bulls teritory means your not going to be king of the pack, if someone walked into your house and started telling your wife to cook dinner, would you keep reading the paper??
:cboy:

CactusCraig":3i7ekfss said:
if someone walked into your house and started telling your wife to cook dinner, would you keep reading the paper??
:cboy:

I'ld probably be busy with the mop cleaning up the mess!

dun

Next year most of our calves will be by a Polled Hereford bull!

dun

We had a older limo (7 or 8) and brought in a younger (4 or 5) polled Hereford. 2 weeks later we were hauling a dead limo out of the tank.

greenwillowherefords":3fs3bzh8 said:
dun":3fs3bzh8 said:

dun
Glad to hear it!

It was a joke. We do 100% AI so the Hereford bulls we used didn't have to whip the 4-5 Red Angus, 1 blk Angus, 1 Simmenthal, 1 Holstein or 1 Jersey bull we have in the silver corral.

dun

dun":2nxa5cgj said:
greenwillowherefords":2nxa5cgj said:
dun":2nxa5cgj said:

dun
Glad to hear it!
I didn't catch it, because I didn't think you meant it was because they whipped 'em, I thought it was by choice. Did you really use any Herefords at all? I can imagine what an awesome red-baldie that heifer of yours would throw.

It was a joke. We do 100% AI so the Hereford bulls we used didn't have to whip the 4-5 Red Angus, 1 blk Angus, 1 Simmenthal, 1 Holstein or 1 Jersey bull we have in the silver corral.

dun

I think 9 of them are bred to Polled Herefords, KCF Bennett H119 and Feltons Domino 774

dun

Latest posts