Are heifers just as good as steers??

Help Support CattleToday:

We usually have one or two heifers that don't make the cut as replacements. We feed them out and I can't tell a difference other than may be a slight bit more tender. As stated above they can finish sooner. I know this year's crop for us, the heifers are ahead of all our steers and with less input.

There is likely very little if any discernible difference as far as someone feeding out an individual calf or two. If looking at a large number of calves at finishing then a slight pattern of difference in terms of yield, marbling etc might be found.

I eat nothing but heifers. I do that for a couple reasons. If I am keeping one of my own the steers will sell for more so I sell the steers. if I am buying one to feed out, heifers sell for less so I buy a heifer.
Generally I buy a 800 pound +/- heifer that is crippled. Not terrible crippled but enough to show it. She is going into a relatively small pen. She just has to walk to the water trough and the feed bunk. The feedlots don't want her because she is crippled. The kill cow plants don't want her because she is too small. I buy her cheap. A 100 days or so on feed she will make a great piece of meat.

Hfrs finish smaller so they finish faster. They do come with problems though. Hfrs come in heat, causing disruption in a pen of cattle. Hfrs prolapse. Hfrs get knocked up.
Feeding hfrs has its place. We feed both, but I prefer feeding strs.

Hfrs finish smaller so they finish faster. They do come with problems though. Hfrs come in heat, causing disruption in a pen of cattle. Hfrs prolapse. Hfrs get knocked up.
Feeding hfrs has its place. We feed both, but I prefer feeding strs.
Thank you! I think it will be more beneficial for me to stick with steers.

Was that one raised and finished on 100% grass only?
Greybeard,
She was on pasture as long as I had her. Bought her as soon as she was weaned. Other than some cubes and a sweet feed mix on the weekends I went out to check on the girls, it was all grass.

Latest posts