Are fleas bad this year where you are?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
I didn't know if it was just my dogs, or if everyone has been having flea issues lately. I finally got a handle on them, I think, although I still need to bomb the house one more time for any eggs and larvea that there may be left. I was going to do that today and then forgot and went to work. My little nekkid weiner dog has allergies already and fleas just send her over the edge. I need to take her in for her quarterly cortisone shot for the allergies. Between that and the fleas, she had about chewed her own butt off. I finally put a flea collar on her because that Frontline Plus was just not working by itself. That and the collar seems to have been what I needed to keep them off. She can't wear it for long, though, because it will irritate her neck. Now I can get her a shot and let her butt hairs grow back. Yeah, I have a history of owning sickly, useless dogs. :help:

On the other hand, Cole seems to appreciate being free of fleas at last and he's been catching up on his napping.

Does anyone have any flea issues that are out of the ordinary?

just starting to get a few fleas here now. seems kind of late in the year. will all the rain i would expect a lot more...

No fleas but the Missouri Ticks are terrible this year.

snapper.jpg

I'll stick with my Texas fleas, thanks! I got bit when I was a kid by a turtle and the dammed thing would not turn loose of my finger.

Lammie":2cjqn9qw said:
I didn't know if it was just my dogs, or if everyone has been having flea issues lately. I finally got a handle on them, I think, although I still need to bomb the house one more time for any eggs and larvea that there may be left. I was going to do that today and then forgot and went to work. My little nekkid weiner dog has allergies already and fleas just send her over the edge. I need to take her in for her quarterly cortisone shot for the allergies. Between that and the fleas, she had about chewed her own butt off. I finally put a flea collar on her because that Frontline Plus was just not working by itself. That and the collar seems to have been what I needed to keep them off. She can't wear it for long, though, because it will irritate her neck. Now I can get her a shot and let her butt hairs grow back. Yeah, I have a history of owning sickly, useless dogs. :help:

On the other hand, Cole seems to appreciate being free of fleas at last and he's been catching up on his napping.

Does anyone have any flea issues that are out of the ordinary?

No fleas here Lammie....but then I don't have a "sugar glider". :lol2: :lol2:

Pip doesn't have fleas, thanks... I don't guess he does. Or she... We don't know what it is, but if you can go by the way it pees, it's female.

I have heard snakes, fleas and skeeters are bad this year. I keep up the Bio spot current on the dogs, and knock on wood, I havent had problems. I keep the stuff on the barn cats too.

Im abit worried about Kate..shes got a TON of hair..I can imagine what a pain it would be if she got fleas.

spinandslide":1yp83ubn said:
I have heard snakes, fleas and skeeters are bad this year. I keep up the Bio spot current on the dogs, and knock on wood, I havent had problems. I keep the stuff on the barn cats too.

Im abit worried about Kate..shes got a TON of hair..I can imagine what a pain it would be if she got fleas.

Rub a couple of handfulls of diatomaceous earth into her fur. It will take care of any fleas or ticks Kate might have. Throw some on the cattle too and in the corrals. Will help some with the flies.

aint seen nary a miskeeter this year but they sho is a lot of hummingbirds.

TexasBred":2c33tizi said:
spinandslide":2c33tizi said:

Rub a couple of handfulls of diatomaceous earth into her fur. It will take care of any fleas or ticks Kate might have. Throw some on the cattle too and in the corrals. Will help some with the flies.

Thanks Richard! Where do you get this?

Beefy":h0g81d8j said:
aint seen nary a miskeeter this year but they sho is a lot of hummingbirds.
then you are damn lucky..we went for 6 months no rain and now we are getting it every other day..its skeeter heaven here, Im mowing once a week..

I haven't noticed a flea problem but the ticks are really bad. I felt so sorry for the barn cats, I broke down and bought Hart's version of Frontline for them. Talk about a rodeo putting it on 'em! My husband the cop maybe able to hold a 200 pound man still but he can't hold a cat for 5 seconds. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Watch that Harts Mountin stuff -put it on my 3 cats,went to work-came back 2 were fine,one down shaking eyes dialated drooling!!
Threw her in the sink scrubbed her down with Dawn. She was so bad off she couldn't fight.. Soaped her down about 5 times.. Must have worked,as I still have her 7 years later..only use Frontline now.. Oh,no fleas in my house...If you do get 'em,cut up a flea coller
and put it in the vaccum bag.
I'd imagine the cop was a lot more worried about hurting the cat than a crook.. :)

spinandslide":2gw1kqy4 said:
TexasBred":2gw1kqy4 said:
spinandslide":2gw1kqy4 said:

Thanks Richard! Where do you get this?

Most good feed stores will have diatomaceous earth....or maybe even nurseries where you buy plants. Organic, harmless to you and the animals and deadly on insects.

Use BAYER tree and shrub... apply to dogs, yard, and around the kennels once a month. Its not a chemical so they can't build a tollerence. I get it a Lowe"s and I am sure it is at alot of other places. I use the one with the water hose nossel so I can just spray every thing down. Guaranteed to work ;-)

Brute 23":1skng69v said:
Use BAYER tree and shrub... apply to dogs, yard, and around the kennels once a month. Its not a chemical so they can't build a tollerence. I get it a Lowe"s and I am sure it is at alot of other places. I use the one with the water hose nossel so I can just spray every thing down. Guaranteed to work ;-)

Thanks. It's a little better here since it dried up. (another rant for another time...) I sprayed the kennel and the yard, the dogs, the plants... I'm just really disappointed in Frontline Plus. It did not work for squat. I finally found Sargeant's Gold, a spray on for the dogs, and it really works. I finally got the fleas out of the house, too. That's disgusting and shameful, having fleas in the house. Sit on the couch and one jumps on you... Yuck. Put part of the flea collar in the hoover and I clean about every other day around, under and inside all the furniture. It's a pain but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Lammie":23ljjiko said:
Brute 23":23ljjiko said:

Thanks. It's a little better here since it dried up. (another rant for another time...) I sprayed the kennel and the yard, the dogs, the plants... I'm just really disappointed in Frontline Plus. It did not work for squat. I finally found Sargeant's Gold, a spray on for the dogs, and it really works. I finally got the fleas out of the house, too. That's disgusting and shameful, having fleas in the house. Sit on the couch and one jumps on you... Yuck. Put part of the flea collar in the hoover and I clean about every other day around, under and inside all the furniture. It's a pain but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Lammie..wrap a couple of those flea collars around your ankles.. :lol2: :lol2: :banana:

You laugh. I have heard about missionaries in Mexico doing the same thing.

Latest posts