are brafords known for bad bags

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
thisll be my 3rd cull outta 10 cows for giant bags. too big to calf offa bags. swollen. almost purple. i got the bags down and the clafs on em but i aint goin for a 3rd time with em.,.this was 2nd calf that way. i dont need the grief.

just how common is it for cows udders to not really shrink back. even til its time to calf again. most of em have nice bags and teats. these 3 have got 5"s.

good clafs but not to mee if she cant feed em

yes they can an do have quiet a few bad bags.an when have that problem all you can do is cull them.

dieselbeef":2whs5z58 said:
thisll be my 3rd cull outta 10 cows for giant bags. too big to calf offa bags. swollen. almost purple. i got the bags down and the clafs on em but i aint goin for a 3rd time with em.,.this was 2nd calf that way. i dont need the grief.

just how common is it for cows udders to not really shrink back. even til its time to calf again. most of em have nice bags and teats. these 3 have got 5"s.

good clafs but not to mee if she cant feed em

I don't blame you. It's so frustrating to have to help a calf nurse.

I doubt it's a Braford trait; more an individual animal. Udder quality is heritable. Did you buy these cows from the same ranch? If so, they probably weren't culling for udder problems. I wouldn't keep any heifers out of them.

If you did purchahse all of these from the same ranch, I'd go back and ask them for a "deal", give you a price break to buy more. Then maybe you could sell the bad bagged ones and buy some more without too bad of a loss. One thing about people who sell replacements - bad news is deadly; You can have 100 satified customers, but get one that's not satisfied and everyone knows.

Franky wrote "I doubt it's a Braford trait; more an individual animal. Udder quality is heritable. Did you buy these cows from the same ranch? If so, they probably weren't culling for udder problems. I wouldn't keep any heifers out of them."

You will find it is the Braford trait but not only Braford but any of your Brahma cross cattle can and will have a udder problem most of the time this is what makes you have to cull a Brahma or Brahma cross.They breed later than most cattle but will raise calves to a older age IF their udders hold out the brahma cattle also tend to prolasp more than other breeds. That said you can't beat them when it comes to raising calves. brahma crosses are calf raising mommas !!!!!!!!!!

here in fl almost everything has some kind of brahman x. buying purebreds is out of my reach financially so i tend to buy good cows from someone i know. one is a brahma cross and the other is a braford. the other is some mutt cow i got a god deal on 5-6 yrs ago. her bag just got bad last calf too.
so theyre al diff but i like the brafords thats why i asked.

BRYANT":1wp4hg4t said:
any of your Brahma cross cattle can and will have a udder problem most of the time this is what makes you have to cull a Brahma or Brahma cross.They breed later than most cattle but will raise calves to a older age IF their udders hold out the brahma cattle also tend to prolasp more than other breeds.

This is just not the truth. Bryant, please provide some facts to back up you statements here. Your on the road to making a lot of newbies believe something that's not true.

i thought that was funny too...my friend just bought a purebred brahma heifer for 13000.00 $. im pretty sure she wont have any bag problems

dieselbeef":1jjfussw said:
i thought that was funny too...my friend just bought a purebred brahma heifer for 13000.00 $. im pretty sure she wont have any bag problems

Although I'm not experienced with every breed, I would tend to believe that bad udders are not breed specific, but animal specific. That $1300 heifer could have a bad bag as well. From my experience, the only way to try and prevent this is to look at moma's bag and the sire's moma's bag (which would be paternal mothers) - they are a much better indicator of a heifers potential. Ofcourse you can make statements like "Tigerstripes are hot", and can be somewhat accurate, but I've seen many that were very docile.

heres a 10yr old reg beefmaster cow.does shr have a bag prob.
8_10.jpg

heres another 10yr old beemaster any bag probs.
8_17.jpg

cypressfarms":vjh1jg8d said:
dieselbeef":vjh1jg8d said:

Although I'm not experienced with every breed, I would tend to believe that bad udders are not breed specific, but animal specific. That $1300 heifer could have a bad bag as well. From my experience, the only way to try and prevent this is to look at moma's bag and the sire's moma's bag (which would be paternal mothers) - they are a much better indicator of a heifers potential. Ofcourse you can make statements like "Tigerstripes are hot", and can be somewhat accurate, but I've seen many that were very docile.

that was a 13 thousand dollar hiefer..not hundred. i git what yer sayin tho. i havent had the op to buy any cattle where i could see the sire or dams...

that cow in the btm pic isnt even close as to what ive got...these are so big they are just like huge balloons even 6-7 mos after calf...swollen and huge

since your cows teats are balloon teats an bigger than those in the pic.id cut her head off.the cow in the pic is on the cull list for her big teats.but id like to get another heifer out of her.we watch her real close when she is ready to calve.

oh yeah...were culling the other 2 to pay the butcher to make premium hamburger out of her.
those in the pic look great to what mine ended up like. in just 2 calving seasons it all went bad

As a rule Brafords here in Australia are not renowned for udder problems. My dad used to breed high Brahman content Brafords and never once had a problem. US Brafords are a little different from Australian ones, from what I've seen. A crossbred Brahman Hereford is classed as a Braford. Over here its not the case. Cattle are classified by a classifier.

the cow in the pic is on the cull list for her big teats.but id like to get another heifer out of her.

amazing. you're a registered breeder? she's on your list to cull for bad teats? but you want her to produce one more female first? is this single trait selection for bad teats or is it simply single trait selection for registration papers? cows that are on your cull list for undesirable heritable traits need to to be culled before they reproduce, not after they reproduce. throw her papers in the grinder and then throw the cow in behind them.

ive seen alot of F1'S with bottle teats you got too watch your p's and q's with that first cross heavy milker and bad udder comformation bad combo

irked":38zwe7xm said:
the cow in the pic is on the cull list for her big teats.but id like to get another heifer out of her.

amazing. you're a registered breeder? she's on your list to cull for bad teats? but you want her to produce one more female first? is this single trait selection for bad teats or is it simply single trait selection for registration papers? cows that are on your cull list for undesirable heritable traits need to to be culled before they reproduce, not after they reproduce. throw her papers in the grinder and then throw the cow in behind them.
i have no problem keeping a heifer calf out of her.as a matter of fact i sold her heifer calf to a reg breeder.thats been in the business for 30yrs.so i guess in reality your saying that he doesnt know what he is doing either.that old gal hasnt missed a beat yet.bottomline is i think you like trying to get me riled up.an thats fine.

Latest posts