Arctic Cat or Yamaha Kodiak

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I am looking at a couple of used 4 wheelers. One is an Arctic Cat 400 4x4 and the other is a Yamaha 450 Kodiak 4x4. Any experience with these brands? I currently have a Honda Fourtrax 300 and it has held up well but it is now 20 years old but I am fairly easy going on ATV's. My mud slinging, rip snorting days are well behind me.

hoss id stay with honda.just step up to a 500 rubicon 4x4 with honda matic.my 4 wheeler is about 14yrs old.

We have 2 Kodiaks - a 2000 model 400 4X2 and an '02 450 4X4. They've both been very good to us, used and abused day in and day out and they're still good machines. Lately the choke likes to stick on the 450 so it needs some carb work, but outside of that they've been really trouble free.

I have a Yamaha big bear and it's been a very good four wheeler its 14 years old and runs like new never have had any problems with it other than have to work on the carb but I think that was because of some bad gas. I would buy anther one in a heart beat if I needed to.

I have a little experience with both those machines. The Kodiak we had was in for repairs several times after the first year and never did run right but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I've had great luck with Yamaha's. My brother has a couple of Artic Cats, he's had his 400 for 10 plus years and it has been bullet proof, and I really like it because it seems to have more clearance than other brand. He also has a bigger Artic Cat and it is really hard to start unless it get's used daily; it's a nice ride with lots of power but he hates how hard it is to start.

As with most things there are lemons of every brand but I think the Kodiak would probably be a safer bet.

Go with the Kodiak 450 if they are in same condition ( same as the newer grizzly 450's ) - Automatic cvt beltdrive - Single cylinder - liquid cooled , in and out 4x4 with differential lock , independent rear suspension , the 450 had a digital hour/mile odometer that should show use. The plastics and airbox will help indicate how it was used .

I would go with whichever shows overall best condition - the 400 cat depending on year i think had the 400 cc air cooled suzuki motors in them that were good motors . Just make sure you don't get the forward/back manual gear shifter on a older artic cat

I know nothing about a Yamaha but I had a arctic cat 400 4 x4 I bought in 2003
And I drove it like I stole it
The only thing I did was change the oil and kept the filter clean
Sold it in 2011 and it ran like the day I bought it

Thanks guys. I may go look at them both. There seems to be a ton of them out on craigslist at the price range that I want to spend so maybe I will take my time and try to get it right.

Have an Arctic Cat 500 and it has lots of miles and lots of use and abuse on it and I can't complain. Only real repairs I've had to do is replace brakes and a CV shaft boot, other than that just oil changes and it keeps on ticking.

Latest posts