Arched Back Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

SimmAngus

Reaction score
We have a cow, that seems to be standing with an arched back. This is not a typical stance for her, we've had her 3 years now. She is due to calve in late Feb/Mar....... To me it appears to be pre-calving stance, but CAN'T be! Her BC = 6 and feeds well. Any ideas would be helpful.

Never heard it called that. Thank you very much.

What are you doing on here with us low-lifes? You should be studying!

cfpinz

milkmaid, I 've only seen one case, but that was a heavy bred heifer.

It was very hard to get rid of. Peniciliin for 5 days and she looked OK and two weeks later she had it again. Strptomycin for 5 days and then she calved. retained placenta and got 3 shot of LA200 equivalent three days apart, mostly because she had a fever and with the retained placenta I didn't know what was the cause. That seemed to cure it.

Sounds like she is cold, and weak, Is she eating, or just standing.
If just standing, Check for fever.
Other than that just to many other posabilities

SimmAngus":23dkwx2x said:
We have a cow, that seems to be standing with an arched back. This is not a typical stance for her, we've had her 3 years now. She is due to calve in late Feb/Mar....... To me it appears to be pre-calving stance, but CAN'T be! Her BC = 6 and feeds well. Any ideas would be helpful.
the cow has hardware.humped up back is a classic sign.if she had a uterine infection.you could smell the stinch a mile off.the dmell is how i could always tell a cow had an uterine infection by smell.shoot a magnet down her an that should take care of the hardware problem.

I thought an arched back could also indicate stomach pain or possibly lung problems. I'm pretty new at this so not sure.
Donna

Sorry I meant cystitis not metritis. I only just realised my mistake. Standing with an arched back urinating a little at a time and keeping that stance for a prolonged period is classical signs of cystitis. There is no smell just a very high fever and the cow going off feed and losing condition very quickly.

Metritis is a uterine infection that usually occurs a week or two after calving and yes there usually is an awfull smell.

cfpinz":12m5553j said:
Never heard it called that. Thank you very much.

What are you doing on here with us low-lifes? You should be studying!

cfpinz

:lol: Work before play. I'd already finished my studying for the evening (had two minor tests this morning). ;-)

Cystic cows can also not show any signs -- only one I've ever encountered had her hormones messed up -- cycled very infrequently and mostly behaved like a bull. I always knew when there was a cow in heat because she was following that cow closer than the herd bulls were.

Latest posts