AR15 or Mini 14??

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought some 62 gr FMJ to start with, but will try the 77 when I get on target. I guess it's the heavier barrel these days, but this thing is a lot heavier than I remember.

Caustic Burno":3w2ayozs said:
slick4591":3w2ayozs said:
I just ordered a silver Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 to put on it. Figured I'd dress it up a little. :D

Cool.
After you get it sighted in try a box of 77 grain. Mine love's em 3way or Hoss could probably explain better why it likes that heavier bullet.

Caustic what's the twist?

3waycross":3kufbnpj said:
Caustic Burno":3kufbnpj said:
slick4591":3kufbnpj said:
I just ordered a silver Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 to put on it. Figured I'd dress it up a little. :D

Cool.
After you get it sighted in try a box of 77 grain. Mine love's em 3way or Hoss could probably explain better why it likes that heavier bullet.

Caustic what's the twist?

1 in 9

Caustic Burno":3q7jpgkv said:
slick4591":3q7jpgkv said:

Cool.
CB, I would bet you have a 1:9 twist. Most mini's do. That will stabilize anything up to near 80 grains and many 1:9's prefer the heavier bullets over the lighter ones. If you want to go with 80 grainers the 1:8 should work.

HOSS":2n1mhd8s said:
Sorry CB.....I should have awaited on your response before I posted.

Naw I learned something new.
I am pretty good when it comes to a shotgun load or a pistol/rifle round.
When it get's to the smoking stuff you could fit what I know in a thimble.

I have a Mossberg mvp predator and it has a 1:9 twist also. And it will shoot American Eagle 50gr. tipped varmint bullets spot on.

I've shot several AR-15 and a few AR-10's. I like them both a lot, had a DPMS in 68 that was great! The best thing I've found about the AR is they come in several sizes from 22 to 308. My brother has and M&P in 556. Don't know how true this is but I was told never buy the 223/556 version, go with 556 NATO. Even though they are almost identical, the 556 is slightly bigger and will tear up your barrel faster. We've got a slide fire and a 100 rd. drum on the 556 and it's the funnest thing I've ever shot in my life, next to the 50 lol.

Hoss and CB what do you think about the 17's? I'm thinking about them over over another AR. Although the H&K MP5 .22 would be a cool gun to have.

I'm a big fan of the .17 HMR for what it is designed for. A couple years ago I shot hundreds of rounds through my brother-in-laws at prairie dogs. I made multiple kills at 200+ yards with it. Super accurate and hard hitting for such a tiny bullet. I shot a coyote at 60 yards with it. It didn't knock it off it's feet but it was graveyard dead after a 30 yard run. No exit but the entry made mush out of the rib cage and the insides were scrambled. Winchester has come out with a new .17 WSM that is a rim fire cartridge. It will scream along at 3,000 fps and should be death on prairie dogs and coyotes. I would not use either for anything bigger or tougher than a coyote and that would only be at closer ranges but for small varmints and plinking they are a ton of fun.

Me too. Can't wait to get my hands on one of the new ones. That is of course in 2 years after they start making them a little better. Not hearing good reports on the Savages chambered for that round.

Sorry for directing my question to just 2 people. I didn't want to take over Slicks thread.
CB, why the 22 mag over the 17? I have shot both and I've been a fan of the 22 mag for a while now.

Hoss/Brute, I'm going to get me one but I haven't made a decision on what brand I want.

3Way, Are you saying savage isn't making a good 17?

Booneville":3iljrrfq said:
Sorry for directing my question to just 2 people. I didn't want to take over Slicks thread.
CB, why the 22 mag over the 17? I have shot both and I've been a fan of the 22 mag for a while now.

Hoss/Brute, I'm going to get me one but I haven't made a decision on what brand I want.

i AM SAYING THE EARLY REPORTS ARE THAT THE B-MAG(THE NEW 17 CARTRIDGE FROM wINCHESTER) I NOT A GOOD RIFLE. Their other 17's are fantastic

3waycross":3oye4yiu said:
Booneville":3oye4yiu said:

i AM SAYING THE EARLY REPORTS ARE THAT THE B-MAG(THE NEW 17 CARTRIDGE FROM wINCHESTER) I NOT A GOOD RIFLE. Their other 17's are fantastic

I only asked because the 17 I looked at was newer and it is made by savage. Thanks for clearing that up.

With the 22 mag I have the choice of 25 grain to 50 grain bullet.
The 22 mag 25 grain is running a 100 feet less than the 17 HMR 20 grain.
I have used the 22 mag on every kind of varmit in these wood's up to hog's.

dieselbeef":w8drhkga said:
22 mag is a real good rd..i have no exp with a 17 tho...personally the 22 hornet is also a favorite

If you don't mind i would like to know what you find attractive about the Hornet?

i shoot it out of an antique savage bolt action. real nice ez gun to shoot. seems very accurate at 100 yds or so..kinda pricey tho

3waycross":5zps5oxz said:
dieselbeef":5zps5oxz said:
22 mag is a real good rd..i have no exp with a 17 tho...personally the 22 hornet is also a favorite

If you don't mind i would like to know what you find attractive about the Hornet?
I like the Hornet for the lack of noise, if I need anything a bit hotter I use the 218 Bee (got a 17 K Hornet but there isn;t a pinch difference between it and the BEE), if I need something hotter then that I use a 219 Donaldson Wasp.
I messed with the 17 Hornet, 17 Bee and 17 Remington over the years. Far prefer the 22s