AR15 or Mini 14??

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I had a Mini 14 back in the late 70's and loved it, just can't remember why I sold it. I really like the .223 round and want to go back to it, so which way should a guy go if he's looking for a utility rifle?

I believe the ar's have more options available than the mini's do. I just hung up the phone with someone that's building me one in the 223/556. He said the main thing o look for is the bolt carrier group, barrel and trigger assembly. Other than that there's only 4 companies making the actions and they're all so close in comparison.

slick4591":1h2x7w9s said:
I had a Mini 14 back in the late 70's and loved it, just can't remember why I sold it. I really like the .223 round and want to go back to it, so which way should a guy go if he's looking for a utility rifle?

tHE DIFFERENCE IS WHEN YOU SHOOT AN ar IT ACTUALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE IF YOU AIM IT. tHE OTHER IS ABSOLUTELY SPRAY AND PRAY! sorry about the caps i am too lazy to rewrite it

3waycross":22a3ua7a said:
slick4591":22a3ua7a said:
I'm taking it that's it is more accurate, correct?

I have a slingshot that is more accurate than a Mini 14

Maybe the old one's that is not true of the one's since Ruger retooled.
I have shot son's AR and my Mini the AR is a little tighter not enough to make a difference on a varmit.
The Mini is a better design being off the Garand style action that is IMO to hold up and work in dirty and rough conditions.
One of the biggest problem's of accuracy is because of a two stage military style trigger for most people.

So if he gets the RIGHT Mini 14 he's OK but if not he's screwed.

I think I would stick with the AR............and i hate em(for the record)

3waycross":38okgcuz said:
So if he gets the RIGHT Mini 14 he's OK but if not he's screwed.

I think I would stick with the AR............and i hate em(for the record)

I got that.(for the record)
I think if you are looking for something to burn ammo through the AR is more accurate with a hot barrel.
For the occasional shot at a yote or dog the my mini is dead on. The mini's I have shot are 3" MOA hot and around 2" cold. It isn't a varmit rifle . The AR's I shot are a little better but not much, but they aren't a varmit rifle either. The advantage I see to the AR is accesories.
The 580 series Mini's were not good, barrel's were to thin and they had some weird harmonic's.
The 582 series so far seem to be a fine carbine.
Edit
I have limited experience with two AR's one a Colt the SIL and a Bushmaster of the son's.
I actually thought the Bushmaster shot better.

Back in the day that mini I had was a sweet little rifle. Don't remember ever shooting at anything over 50 yds, tho. Lately, I have been eyeballing the Bushmaster, although I have never shot one. You might be able to tell that guns are not something I'm eat up with like some of my friends are. Just seems like I'm seeing a future need to add one to my small collection. Thanks for your thoughts.

ARs have more options and can be bought more accurate out the box. They are hunting rifle qualily.

For me the AR is a little more awkward riding around in the truck because of the pistol grip stock. The stock on a mini 14 is more like a traditional rifle.

I have nothing bad to say about an AR but guess im just old fashion, I like the mini 14. Have one loaded and laying across the side of the bed I sleep in.

kenny thomas":in2ka86r said:
I have nothing bad to say about an AR but guess im just old fashion, I like the mini 14. Have one loaded and laying across the side of the bed I sleep in.

I keep going back to the mini in my brain. I know what they shot like back then and with the improvements I may like them even more now. The KMini-14/20P has my attention at the moment.

slick4591":30yddc3h said:
kenny thomas":30yddc3h said:

I keep going back to the mini in my brain. I know what they shot like back then and with the improvements I may like them even more now. The KMini-14/20P has my attention at the moment.

Thats a pretty good gun. My dad carries that exact one in his truck. We play with it a lot. The iron sights were dead on right out the box. No jams or any thing like that.

They are made to shoot when nothing else will and that's something I really like about them.

Went into town today and played with the AR's and the mini's and ended up with the stainless ranch rifle. They didn't have the optics I wanted so I'm searching. Hopefully, I'll find something that satisfies me.

slick4591":2s05ekcw said:
They are made to shoot when nothing else will and that's something I really like about them.

Went into town today and played with the AR's and the mini's and ended up with the stainless ranch rifle. They didn't have the optics I wanted so I'm searching. Hopefully, I'll find something that satisfies me.

I really like my mini in the plain Jane ranch rifle.
Mine loves the 62 and 77 grain hollow point's .
I just have iron sight's on it.

slick4591":1d6n6x8a said:
I just ordered a silver Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 to put on it. Figured I'd dress it up a little. :D

Cool.
After you get it sighted in try a box of 77 grain. Mine love's em 3way or Hoss could probably explain better why it likes that heavier bullet.