AR ammo

Help Support CattleToday:

I don;t use it for defense, I've got better options. But I would use the heaviest expanding bullet that it would handle accurately

dun":1ue2uqoy said:
I don;t use it for defense, I've got better options. But I would use the heaviest expanding bullet that it would handle accurately
Thanks for comment. I was thinking along the same line.
You care to say what better option you favor?

Ryder":ttiiu02c said:
dun":ttiiu02c said:
Thanks for comment. I was thinking along the same line.
You care to say what better option you favor?
M1 Garand or a shotgun

Ryder":2z94paxx said:
Was wondering what you experienced rifle shooters think is the best defense round for an AR .223\5.56 with a 16" barrel and 1/9 twist?

Use Barnes copper 64 grain hollow points on hogs. It will punch a hole all the way through
a big boar with great expansion.

I'm going to disagree with the previous posters. Not because they are wrong, but because you did not give enough information to answer your question.
I shoot 55gr SP thru my mini, and my single shot New England. I've killed 40+ deer with that single shot, and so far have never shot twice. I know this sounds like bragging, but Dad told me it ain't bragging if it's fact. My favorite round for whitetail is the .223 55 gr SP, and the . 243 95 gr Barnes X
I'm not suggesting these rounds as self defense, but I do know they drop where they stand.
FYI, I'm a head/neck shot guy so maybe my advice is irrelevant

Most cheap bulk .223 will be fmj, which will not expand. You could consider buying a 20 box of premium hunting ammo (Winchester soft points would be great, and still be cheap).

Personally, I don't think I'd want to get shot with a 55 gr fmj, but that's just me.

not a very effective weapon at close range. must be shootin em comin from the hardroad. what kinda range you figuring on. cuz it pretty hard to tell intentions of someone at 400 yds but not so hard to hit em with a 223 at that distance

aint none of my biz jus sayin's all

SJB":fa7y7wq2 said:
Most cheap bulk .223 will be fmj, which will not expand. You could consider buying a 20 box of premium hunting ammo (Winchester soft points would be great, and still be cheap).

Personally, I don't think I'd want to get shot with a 55 gr fmj, but that's just me.

I buy bulk. 1,000 rounds Black Hills .223 55gr semi-jacket soft point. There are 20 boxes of 50 rounds each in the case. Last purchase was $380 ($19 for 50 round box). I haven't checked price lately (maybe 4 or 5 years), cause I haven't needed any (that last order took months to get). I have done some experiments with different rounds, mostly heavier rounds. I just have found a better all purpose round. Again, if you would give more detail on the situation and results you desire, maybe some of us could arrive at better advice. In my opinion, for whitetail (or other similar size "critters), it is desirable for the projectile to offer a combination of penetration and expansion, delivering as much energy as possible (but no more than necessary) to still leave an exit hole. Anything more is wasted energy.

Ouachita":cs16jvgm said:
I'm going to disagree with the previous posters. Not because they are wrong, but because you did not give enough information to answer your question.
I shoot 55gr SP thru my mini, and my single shot New England. I've killed 40+ deer with that single shot, and so far have never shot twice. I know this sounds like bragging, but Dad told me it ain't bragging if it's fact. My favorite round for whitetail is the .223 55 gr SP, and the . 243 95 gr Barnes X
I'm not suggesting these rounds as self defense, but I do know they drop where they stand.
I'm talking about a self defense situation that I hope never comes up.
I want range better than a shotgun but it would be impossible to give an exact number. On the other hand I would want it to work up real close if need be. Like in the house.
I am not talking about hunting or deer. If I should ever need it I would want it to deliver a round that would put anyone down, period. I am thinking hollow point.

Thanks to all who have made replies.

Ryder":3ps4l9dy said:
Ouachita":3ps4l9dy said:
I'm talking about a self defense situation that I hope never comes up.
I want range better than a shotgun but it would be impossible to give an exact number. On the other hand I would want it to work up real close if need be. Like in the house.
I am not talking about hunting or deer. If I should ever need it I would want it to deliver a round that would put anyone down, period. I am thinking hollow point.

Thanks to all who have made replies.

Ryder for that purpose Brown Bear 62 grain HP is hard to beat.
Just vacuum seal them and store in good ammo cans.
They are a dang fine hog round as well not quite as good as the Barnes triple shock IMO
but the results is the same.

Latest posts