Aquacillin, why inject under skin instead of muscle?

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
Ok, My week old calf has mild abomasal bloating.( never heard of this till now,I guess it's basically a tummy ache??? He was off his bottle and a little listless.
Vet was here and gave me Reglan and Aquacillin , both to inject under skin.
Now I read the bottle and it says 'do not inject under skin' on the Aquacillin.
So I called the vet to make sure we understood each other and he says ,no ,it's ok, give it under the skin ,
(2x a day) and I also have to give some orally.
Now I do trust this vet a lot,I'm just wondering ,why would they explicitly say not to do that while it's ok?
He also said it could have cleared itself up but this way we are not taking any chances.
I'm also giving him electolytes for a day ,then both tomorrow and back to milk replacer next if all goes well.
He's the second weaker twin that would not eat off his mom, but was doing really good after the second day.
Vet says this happens sometimes with calves that are good eaters.
Would appreciate any input,
Thanks .Chris
Ps: Is it ok to wipe the needle with rubbing alcohol before injecting or should I boil it?
I have to use each one a few times.

ufo_chris":23xvmvb6 said:
Ok, My week old calf has mild abomasal bloating.( never heard of this till now,I guess it's basically a tummy ache??? He was off his bottle and a little listless.
Vet was here and gave me Reglan and Aquacillin , both to inject under skin.
Now I read the bottle and it says 'do not inject under skin' on the Aquacillin.
So I called the vet to make sure we understood each other and he says ,no ,it's ok, give it under the skin ,
(2x a day) and I also have to give some orally.
Now I do trust this vet a lot,I'm just wondering ,why would they explicitly say not to do that while it's ok?
He also said it could have cleared itself up but this way we are not taking any chances.
I'm also giving him electolytes for a day ,then both tomorrow and back to milk replacer next if all goes well.
He's the second weaker twin that would not eat off his mom, but was doing really good after the second day.
Vet says this happens sometimes with calves that are good eaters.
Would appreciate any input,
Thanks .Chris
Ps: Is it ok to wipe the needle with rubbing alcohol before injecting or should I boil it?
I have to use each one a few times.

Needles are cheap - replace them.

Syringes are as well.

I have once seen a calf lost due to disease transfer through a needle that was boiled and mishandled.

Boiling can sterilize - but the handling of them after the fact may be a problem

Wiping them down does not get not get the tube of the needle clean

Not cleaning them and allowing some medicines to mix can cause them to not be as effective

As for the veterinarian advice - I will not comment - he is there and I am not

Bez+

Ok to carify, I will not mix meds in the same syringe. I have seperate ones that he clearly marked.
He gave me 3 for each med, but that means using each a few times.
And how do you tranfer disease if it is used on the same animal only?
And couldn't a brand new one be mishandled too then, if that is the problem?
I don't have to ask him, this is what he told me to do. Apparently he thinks it's fine.
I just wanted to make extra sure, take all precautions.
And I do trust him,he is a really good vet.
Thanks,Chris

A lot times it is that studies have not been done by drug companies for withdrawl times for a specific application . Just like banamine says IV use only but you can give it IM as well.

If your vet said SC than he obviously has a specific treatment protocol for your calf.

ufo_chris":tw8h0k0l said:
He gave me 3 for each med, but that means using each a few times.

Using the same needle multiple times results in a dull needle-point, making it more difficult to insert the needle.

Just a thought.

Katherine

Cleaning with alcohol and placing it into the bottle might hurt instead of help. I know it can kill some vaccines. Never place a used needle into a bottle. Put a new needle into the bottle and then change and use the other needle for the shot. Always leave the needle in the bottle until you are done and then throw it away.
Needles are cheap but if you must clean them wash them and place them on a wet paper towel and cover with another wet paper towel. Then put them in the microwave for about a minute. Does the same thing as a vet using an autoclave to clean his equipment.

Latest posts