April Pictures!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Misty":2uthmmoo said:
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s296/mistytuffy/Ox%20litter%202008/2008%20steer/006.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s296 ... er/004.jpg
This is my son's steer. He has just put him on a finishing ration, we weighed him today and he is 1130#. We show the middle of August.
Fire away. I know the hair is really dead. Starting working on that this week.

What do you expect his finish weight to be?

we want to have him finish around 1350. I know he will have to suck him up before weigh in. Any thoughts anyone???
I seen a bull that is his full brother....wow. They are very similar in type.

Misty":k5gvjtht said:
we want to have him finish around 1350. I know he will have to suck him up before weigh in. Any thoughts anyone???
I seen a bull that is his full brother....wow. They are very similar in type.

I would turn him out to pasture and start feeding him again about June 15th.

I am also a show mom and let me tell you the one year I actually tried a finishing feed to hold a steers weight the angus came in 5 place. I promised myself i would never do it again and we have taken first, second, and third place since then. Feed him! then Walk the heck out of him it works and you wont be sorry in the end. Your child might not like it very much but when they are rewarded its all worth it

You have around 125 days, from the time you posted the pictures, until your show, if he gains around 2.5 pounds a day until then he will weigh 1442. Most calves slow down when they start reaching their potential finished weight, so I would continue to pour the feed to him and monitor his gain if he is gaining more than 2-2.5 a day over a 2 week period then you might want to slow him down, if he is in that range just keep feeding him. Make sure you weigh him at the same time each time you weigh him.

As he starts to get that look, the fat around his tail head and his ribs are covered and smooth, you want to start cutting back on the grain and add filler, we feed a beet pulp oat mix with the grain. The more you have to cut back on the grain the more additives you will need, we will add Fast Fat and Calf-Manna to make sure he gets the fat and protein he needs to maintain his condition.

Your target should be around 1400, cattle can loose 30 to 40 pounds on the trip to the fair grounds limit his feed and water the night before you go to the fair( 2 gallons water 6 pounds of feed and hay) nothing the next day until after you weigh. If you have a weigh back at your fair you should be OK if it is 5 percent the calf could weigh 1350 and be 1415 and be under the percentage.

Good luck

Misty":xy5o7sr1 said:

just a quick note, if a steer is meant to finish at 1400, you really should finish him there. some steers are just bigger. if you try to hold him back or play around with his weight, you could be messing around with how well you do and where you place. the exception, of course, is when there is a top limit, then you obviously dont have a choice.

oh ya, we are not stopping his feed. We were thinking the 1400 ball park, then the loss for the drive, and hold him a little the night before and he should weigh in at around 1350 then. I would rather have him finished and too big, than not finished. What do you all think about him though? he is not near as big framed as last years. He will definatly be easier to put finish on. I am really liking him more every day. Interested in other's opinions though. I think he's a dandy so does my son.

If there is not a weigh back on the show then I would feed the heck outta him and then cut feed and water about a week or two before the show and then as soon as you get him weighed in put him back together and god win a class.