Apps/Software

Help Support CattleToday:

BRENTK

Reaction score
What app or software is everyone using to keep records of there herds?

Thanks Brent

A.J.":31t71p20 said:
Old version of cattlemax. Can't make myself jump to the online version yet.
Don;t if you can help it. My system crashed and I had to change. Still regret it

I have the online version. It gets glitches in it, or I can't figure it out, either way. For example, the other day I weighed yearlings, entered them manually, then went to reports to look at them all at once. New weight didn't come up on the report. There have been other issues that escape me right now. It's ok, but not perfect. It would have been better if I had just went ahead and set up an excel sheet to do what I wanted in the first place. I do like how you can enter a standard working, same vaccs and worming, to all of them without having to go to each one to enter it. That's handy.

Rafter S":1yl3o863 said:
I just use Excel.
Depends on what records you want to keep and how thorough you want to be. Having every animal linked to it's offspring and also back to it;s ancestors comes in mighty handy at times.

I agree with the user error, problem is that it isn;t as intuitive as the older version was.

Example - I had not physically looked at cows for 4 days trying to get hay put up so early Saturday morning I rode back to where I knew they would be and have 5 ready to calve. 1 of them had calved in the last few days so while I was watching I pulled that cow up clicked ad offspring entered the data on calf and closed it out. I can access it anywhere anytime from any device .

M-5":2rfgngd8 said:
Example - I had not physically looked at cows for 4 days trying to get hay put up so early Saturday morning I rode back to where I knew they would be and have 5 ready to calve. 1 of them had calved in the last few days so while I was watching I pulled that cow up clicked ad offspring entered the data on calf and closed it out. I can access it anywhere anytime from any device .

That's the part I would really like about the new version. It would be nice to update records and pictures right then instead of having to wait til I got home to update on the PC. I would like the convenience, but dont like the idea of having to pay for the license every year or monthly, however they have it set up.

A.J.":17w0alaz said:
M-5":17w0alaz said:

That's the part I would really like about the new version. It would be nice to update records and pictures right then instead of having to wait til I got home to update on the PC. I would like the convenience, but dont like the idea of having to pay for the license every year or monthly, however they have it set up.

its a farm expense the 99 bucks a year is worth it to me and no different than buying feed meds or tags for the cows.

dun":31mjbwts said:
Rafter S":31mjbwts said:
I just use Excel.
Depends on what records you want to keep and how thorough you want to be. Having every animal linked to it's offspring and also back to it;s ancestors comes in mighty handy at times.

I agree. I don't need to keep as many records as some folks, such as registered breeders.

Latest posts