Approx. Age for Breeding

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a Beefmaster bull calf that is 9 mos. old now. I would like to use him as a breeder bull. How old do they begin breeding?
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

If they are similiar to angus, close to 1 yr - plus or minus. We have had bulls that qualify as acceptable potential breeders (BSE - Breeding Soundness exam, from vet) at 11 months (have not tested them younger). The best way to determine if he is physically mature is a BSE. The vet will examine the semen and check for immaturities and abnormalities. In our area they cost around $40 and it includes vaccinations and degrubbing. (A standard recommendation is not turning them out with cows until they are 14 months.) <p>On another note, these "rookies" can require a little special attention (depends on your pastures/feed etc). You will want to make sure your young bull maintains his condition so that he can continue healthy sperm production. You may wish to limit the number of cows he needs to breed (20-25, or less). Some young bulls have no problem with more, but may look rough at the end of breeding season and require some special care.<br>So you may wish to keep this in mind as well. Best wishes.<p>: I have a Beefmaster bull calf that is 9 mos. old now. I would like to use him as a breeder bull. How old do they begin breeding?<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":225xv199 said:
: I have a Beefmaster bull calf that is 9 mos. old now. I would like to use him as a breeder bull. How old do they begin breeding?<p>James,<p>It is true that bulls can start to produce vaiable semen at one year of age. BUT, he can not go out a breed an entire herd of cattle at this time. Just think of this bull as a teenager who is in Junior High. Yea, he can sire offspring but is he really ready for that. We usually wait until they are at least 18 months before they really it serious in breeding cattle. Plus we only let them breed a handfull on the first time out. These young bulls wear themselves out breeding one cow. As, older more experience bulls breed when the cow is ready to be bred. We tell our customer who buy our bulls that they are still growing and nutrition will be even in greater demand for growing bulls following cows all day.<p>Thanks,<p>Matt<br>Bar M Ranch<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":2wov4fiw said:
: If they are similiar to angus, close to 1 yr - plus or minus. We have had bulls that qualify as acceptable potential breeders (BSE - Breeding Soundness exam, from vet) at 11 months (have not tested them younger). The best way to determine if he is physically mature is a BSE. The vet will examine the semen and check for immaturities and abnormalities. In our area they cost around $40 and it includes vaccinations and degrubbing. (A standard recommendation is not turning them out with cows until they are 14 months.) <p>: On another note, these "rookies" can require a little special attention (depends on your pastures/feed etc). You will want to make sure your young bull maintains his condition so that he can continue healthy sperm production. You may wish to limit the number of cows he needs to breed (20-25, or less). Some young bulls have no problem with more, but may look rough at the end of breeding season and require some special care.<br>: So you may wish to keep this in mind as well. Best wishes.<p>: : I have a Beefmaster bull calf that is 9 mos. old now. I would like to use him as a breeder bull. How old do they begin breeding?<p>
<br>

[email protected]

And, when he has been with the cows for 60 days, be sure and remove him from the herd and give him a good diet so he can continue to grow and mature. <p>Don't leave him with the cows even if you're sure they are all bred. He won't be nearly the bull you would have had in the future if you don't take him away from the herd after 60 days.
<br>

Latest posts