Apples

Help Support CattleToday:

>Oh, I bet she loves apples. Id say 3 or 4 at the most a day. I do know, a horse or cow allowed to eat apples freely, tend to get a bit of a tummy ache. Ive seen it happen. Try some carrots too!

Someone gave us a 20 year old mare
> and I was wondering how many
> apples I could give it?

Thanks for the information. No the old maare is not wheezing or sneezing, etc. I had someone tell me that some animals are allergic, in some ways, to Cedar.

[email protected]

I would never give horses whole apples. The seed contain low levels of cianide and if allowed they will eat them freely possibly leading to an accidental poisoning. Giving horses treats for no reason other than giving them one is only going to lead to problems. If giving treats for a job well done or a nice ride, that's a different story. And by all means never give horses sugar cubes! Sugar is like crack to horses.

Jim":umwp493v said:
Someone gave us a 20 year old mare and I was wondering how many apples I could give it?

[email protected]

I'm not sure why you are wanting to give this horse apples, but I would give no more than one a couple of times of week and I would also make sure the apple was cored.

Cut it into pieces too. Sometimes old horses do not have all of their teeth and she could choke on a big piece.

Wee talked about the treat thing before--Teach her to come when you whistle,then give her the apple cut in 4 pieces..

chippie":3iiaxzw7 said:
Cut it into pieces too. Sometimes old horses do not have all of their teeth and she could choke on a big piece.

Excellent point, chippie.

An apple can be used as a treat but not as a meal...........yes the seeds contain LOW levels of cyanide, but a horse would have to eat a lot of apples to die from it :roll: