Apples

Help Support CattleToday:

skyeagle

Reaction score
Any harm in feeding apples to my cattle? I have a too many for myself. If it's ok how much per head. Im down to forty now .

Apples will not hurt them. Let them have as many as they want just watch for scours.

Use caution. My neighbor's cattle have access to an old abandoned orchard. He had a yearling heifer choke to death trying to swallow a whole apple.

I have a feeling that apple seeds are toxic in large doses.I have been told a few times by different people not to go overboard feeding apples to my horse,this may only apply to horses i dont know. :D

Mine are eating pears.. they've eaten all they can reach and clean any that fall on the ground. I now take a rake and pull a bunch off every other day or so.. they put the whole pear in their mouth.. lot's of crunching. Now when they see me come in w/ the rake.. they're pushing me to the pear trees.

be carfull if they get old and start to rot ,at the farm i work we had a ram who had trouble walking ,when the vet came he asked what he was eating,and we had a look in his paddock and found old apples. so we ended up with a drunk ram.

Showmom is correct if they eat too many at once they will shoot through them like a goose. :eek: but they do love to get them.

i was wondering about feeding the cows any left over pumpkins that we will be having left over from halloween and thanksgiving holidays, i know we always throw watermelon left overs out into the pasture, but was curious about the pumpkins......not any that has been painted on or had candles in them, just plain old punkins, thanx

samm

I regularly feed pumkins and other squash to my cows and they love it. As for apple if you adjust them slowly to large amounts they shouldn't have any problems.

Shelby

My farm is literally plastered with apple trees of varying types and the cows love them.

Never had any trouble with the cows eating them but I think its cause they always have access to them so keep them cleaned up pretty good.

I can see where allowing cows who arent used to them to have at a large ammount might cause trouble.

Should be no problem with any toxicity. Could be slight chance of choking trying to swallow a whole one. Have fed many tons of onions & potatoes without a choker. Think apples would be similar. Sure possibility of the squirts if they eat a lot. Plenty of dry hay or grass will help.

Regards

Brock

kensfarm":1b1td2ur said:
Mine are eating pears.. they've eaten all they can reach and clean any that fall on the ground. I now take a rake and pull a bunch off every other day or so.. they put the whole pear in their mouth.. lot's of crunching. Now when they see me come in w/ the rake.. they're pushing me to the pear trees.

Does this feed exotic flavor the beef?

There are a few people down here that throw out turnip seeds when they plant ryegrass. By the time the ryegrass is tall enough to graze, the turnips are big enough to eat. The cows go crazy for them.

what about lettuces like romain and iceberg i can get cutoffs from some local resturants

Our neighbor's cows got in a fenced off patch of rutabegas, they ate every root in the patch in one day. I don't suppose it hurt them, but I did wonder.

Latest posts