Apples and cows

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
I have some apple trees in my pasture. I was told to cut them down because a cow will choke on them and die. I hate to cut them down what do you think?

I have fed potatoes to cattle before and there is a risk of choke. It is the medium sized potatoes that are the problem, they are about large apple sized so there is a possibility. Its up to you to decide if the risk is great enough of course. If the apples are not very big, I wouldnt worry about it, but they arnt my cattle.

When I was a kid we had an old grove of apple trees and we never had any problems. In fact, we used to pick up the wind falls to feed to tha cattle as treats. No choking experienced. I'm not saying that it's not possible though.

I started feeding apples last year with no problems. Other than I felt like the Ice creme truck comeing down the road
{Lots of bellering :) Its lot of fun. I just started out with
5 gal. a day work up to 15 gal. for 30 head. no problem no
scours.

I have been feeding fallen apples for several years without any problems so far. I toss them so they spread out.
Have a friend who does the same. He had one choke one time, but resolved it. He still feeds apples.
As farmer rich says, it's up to you to decide.

Katherine

S.R.R.

Apple season is on here - we feed them every day - cows come running for them - never had one choke yet - can they? Well, so can we all I suppose - they eat them in the wild all the time on our place as well.

Leave the tree = let them enjoy the apples - oh - we also feed corn still on the cob to the cows - heaven knows they never seem to run into trouble if they break in to a corn field - so if we have cob corn we feed it.

Regards,

Bez'

we had an apple orchard on our dairy farm in NY and the cows would love to crash the fence when the apples were green. they would get drunk and wouldnt give much milk for a day or two. My dad would get angry, but it was fun watching an ol jersey stagger and stumble to the barn. just thought I'd throw this in.

Have had for 20+ yrs (2) wild apple trees in the pasture (think they are green apples of some sort). Cows love them, fight the yellow jackets & cicada killers for them - never had a problem. But that's not to say that this season may bring my first issue.

We had them in our fields forever and never had any problem. My grandfather did tell me once though that the neighboring ranch (who also had fruit trees) had a prized heifer get an apple stuck in it's throat in ~the 60s and the two of them tried everything they could do to get that apple out (they had no catgut to try cutting the throat) and still lost the heifer. So I recognize that there is a very SLIGHT risk; but our apple and pear trees were always prized possessions (by people and cows alike) and I would not even consider cutting one.

Probably no greater risk then them eating hedge apples. The neighbors pasture is over run wit hthem and the cow eat them with justo. No problems so far.

dun

dun":2ff7pvlz said:
Probably no greater risk then them eating hedge apples. The neighbors pasture is over run wit hthem and the cow eat them with justo. No problems so far.

dun

Ah the green slobbers them horse apples make. Bet more than one vet has gotten an emergency call about it. :)
Have had one occasion with a heifer getting one stuck in the throat :(
Never had a problem with apples,pears,watermelon,corn stalks,bean plants, or anything coming from the garden.

Aaaaaaahhhhh, been there done that, we have a few trees in our pastures, and we did have a young heifer get one stuck in her throat a few yrs back.....after two vet visits we got that problem solved for her....hope tha the will one day fogive us for getting him here at 2 am. :cboy:

We still take that chance every season. :cboy:

Never fed apples but somthing similar. Planted a food plot for deer that had turnips. Some were the size of grapefruit. no probelms. Looked funny watching them roll it on thier tongue.

Scotty

I have a small herd of hereford cows and pasture them on approx. 12 acres where there are 5 apple trees I have not had any problems and can tame the younger heifers down by picking them and feeding them by hand. the apples are small but I do not see a problem.

Nathans Dad

"Johnie Appleseed" was very generous here in NY and we have MANY wild apple trees. Turn the cows in a new pasture & they RUN to the woods this time of year looking for the fallen apples.
Had a cow that would jump every single wire fence on the place to get to a new apple tree. Finally put a chain around her neck with an end hanging down about 24". Fed her out of a bucket over the fence till the chain hit the wire - broke her from jumping :shock: :D

Sounds like yall have spoiled cows :lol: my cows have never had anything but grass, hay and loose mineral except weaning heifers. Maybe I need to plant some fruit trees. :shock:

Ours will come screaming for apples and peaches! All we have to do is hold them up and holler!

It's funny to watch them eat peaches, they will woller that peach in their mouth till all the good is gone and then spit out the pit and then beg for another. On apples, we don't have a tree in the pasture, so when we feed them we cut them up for them. No chance of choking that way.

We can take a peach or apple and lead them straight to the head gate if we need to work on them. Whole lot easier than trying to drive them!

They may be spoiled just a little? :eek:

I think they like the fruit better than any grain we feed. :shock:

Latest posts