Apple tree seeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Wick

Reaction score
I have in the past tried to get the seeds from an apple tree we have here started. But it never works out for me, tried planting the in dirt keeping them warm, tried starting them in plastic sandwich bag hanging in the window, but with no luck. The things don't just come up under ther tree either. The tree is what we call a Wolf River Apple tree, big reddish apples that are great for pies and applebutter. I have ordered some in the past that were suppose to be the same thing, but they really haven't produced that well and the apples on them seem different. I would like to have some of these old type appletrees for later in life. Any help out there?

try rooting it or grafting it, appleseeds rarely develop into the same type of tree as the parent. alot of times you get plain ol crabapples.

For best results, you need to take some cuttings off the apple tree and graft this onto some small crabapple seedlings. If you don't know how to or don't want to do it yourself, I'm sure if you ask around the nurseries or extension office I'm sure there is a good grafter in your area. It's definitely an amazing art.