Apple Cider Vinegar

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm new here, so I hope I don't step on anyones toes, but I wanted to comment on the use of Apple Cider Vinegar. I have a beef cow who is up in her age, she had twins back in August and they were weaned in February. My cow was turned back out into the pasture with the bull afterwards. Yesterday I noticed one of her back quarters was swollen and hard (but still had some give to it), and it was warm to the touch. I brought her back to the lot behind the house so I could see if I could save that quarter. When I first got her here I tried to see if I could get any of the milk to come out of that quarter, but couldn't. I started giving her about 2 Tbsp of ACV in her feed. This morning I tried again to see if I could get any of the milk out and it started coming out in lumps. I was able to milk out quite a bit, but then it got too lumpy again. So I'm going to try it again a little later on today. She didn't like me attempting to milk her at first, but then she settled right down and enjoyed it. I'm sure it was a releif to get some of the pressure off that quarter. I realize a whole month has gone by since her calves were weaned, so I'm not sure I can actually save the quarter or not. But right now I feel pretty good about the progress we're making. I'm hopeful that I'll save it and it will still produce later on; but if not, at least she will be more comfortable. I'm also thinking about giving her some penicillin to fight off any infection that has possibly set in. My hubby and his dad were saying that it was useless to try anything because it had been a month since her weaning time, and thought I should just go ahead and sell her for slaughter. But I just can't give up on her. She's been a great cow and momma, and I feel she deserves whatever help I can give her. I really don't know that much about all of this so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will say that this is the first time this has happened; her udder is in good shape otherwise.

Sounds like mastitis. Veterinarian or feed store should have a tube of mastitis treatment. Infuse the contents of one tube into each affected quarter.

smiley-vault-signs-067.gif

Two tablespoon of ACV did not her her udder. It did not soften it so that the lumps could come out.

Apple cider vinegar has no effect on mastitis. It almost has no effect at all on anything, but spices up water a bit. if the cow loses one quarter she can still raise a good calf.

ANAZAZI":3lobb8qt said:
Apple cider vinegar has no effect on mastitis. It almost has no effect at all on anything, but spices up water a bit. if the cow loses one quarter she can still raise a good calf.
But, but, but.. I read it on the internet, and everyone knows they can't put anything on the internet that isn't true. (I read that on the internet too so it must be true)
Bon Jour.

shamn.jpg

4KFarm":3odbopuo said:
"I read a book written by a vet/M.D. in Vermont that was all about the benefits of vinegar. By his conclusions, the body, man or beast, is basically full of calcium, but, due to alkaline blood, the calcium comes out of solution and starts to form deposits around the body. Vinegar supposedly keeps the calcium in solution, thereby making it immediately available to the needs of the body. This doctor did extensive research with men and women, as well as cattle, especially dairy. His research concluded that milking cows, given a quarter cup or so of apple cider vinegar per feeding, had zero occurance of milk fever, zero occurance of mastitis, greater milk production, healthier calves with greater birth weights and faster rates of gain, often by as much as 30% in six to eight months. He also found that mastits could be treated with vinegar in the ration, the clincher being that the animals he tested with recouperated 100% with no long term negative effects for having contracted mastitis in the first place. Mastitis can ruin a bag. His findings were the same, if I recall correctly, with milk fever. Complete recovery with nothing more than apple cider vinegar in the ration."
This is an excerpt of a post from Homesteading Today. The book is Folk Medicine A Vermont Doctor's Guide to Good Health. My wife prescribes to this practice daily. I am going to start giving my cows ACV in their ration...
Sounds like this guy is more of a vinegar salesman, has his 401-k money in Vinegar Co. stock or is just stupid.

Latest posts