Apple Butter

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus":ideh13vi said:
thats what I was thinking....all my people were poor and I have never seen a copper pot......
gotta stir it anyway so I figured a cast iron pot would work just as well.....
I think I am gonna try it....

even found a test recipe to try a small batch in the crock pot....gonna do them this weekend....and plan for a bigger batch.....

Co-worker was just bragging on some she made in a crock pot. I'd never heard of such.

pdfangus":z3cet1s3 said:
thats what I was thinking....all my people were poor and I have never seen a copper pot......

even found a test recipe to try a small batch in the crock pot....gonna do them this weekend....and plan for a bigger batch.....

I think you will be ok with the cast iron pot... I made it im 6'2 270lbs it didn't stunt my growth lol I have never seen that much copper on a pot... on a still thats another story lol

hillbilly beef man":1wr03w0v said:
We did this last weekend at church. Main difference is that we used $10 worth of quarters instead of pennies. Best part is that I have an aunt that bakes sourdough bread, and she always has 4 loaves coming out of the oven when we get through putting the butter in jars. We then use the bread to clean up the kettle. Nothing better than hot bread and fresh apple butter.

My great-grandma made homemade bread and apple butter until she was about ~100 years old or so and always had fresh loaf and an open jar ready when we came to visit. I can still smell her house. It is a great combination to be cherished.

skyhightree1":1xr2be9y said:
pdfangus":1xr2be9y said:

I think you will be ok with the cast iron pot... I made it im 6'2 270lbs it didn't stunt my growth lol I have never seen that much copper on a pot... on a still thats another story lol

You might be getting a little hasty, you don't know that you weren't meant to be 6'3 and 285. And pdf, you might be able to make some with a crock pot, but it may not be as high a quality as a good copper batch. If you send a jar of each to me, I'll promise to do a double blind taste test and provide you with full results along with any change in height and weight.

Commercialfarmer":2yw16nsh said:
skyhightree1":2yw16nsh said:
pdfangus":2yw16nsh said:

You might be getting a little hasty, you don't know that you weren't meant to be 6'3 and 285. And pdf, you might be able to make some with a crock pot, but it may not be as high a quality as a good copper batch. If you send a jar of each to me, I'll promise to do a double blind taste test and provide you with full results along with any change in height and weight.

well the crock pot batch will only hold seven quarts to start with...so byt the time i get it cooked down and sampled there probably will not be any left to send....

Now that I am eligible for medicare I am not too much worried about vertical growth and I suspect sampling apple butter is going to cause further problems with my gravitational pull....

Commercialfarmer":2o85f1hz said:
skyhightree1":2o85f1hz said:
pdfangus":2o85f1hz said:

You might be getting a little hasty, you don't know that you weren't meant to be 6'3 and 285. quote]

:lol: I guess you have a point.

Latest posts