Apple Butter

Help Support CattleToday:

cf-
My question about the whole apple butter thing is the price. This year it's been selling up here for around $4 /pint - usually its around $5/ quart. I guess with the drought and all - the apples were probably pretty high. I also noticed that the group that made this also made some sugar free apple butter! Just wouldn't be the same!

For folks that are wanting a recipe - just Google it and you'll find dozens of recipes for crockpot sized batches. When the church / civic groups make it around here it involves a 40 gallon kettle, about 10 bushels of peeled, cored and cut up apples, some sugar, cinnamon, cloves - no one can tell you ahead of time home much of each, depends on personal taste and the sweetness of the apples. This is cooked over low heat for about 8 hours or so. Everybody takes turns stirring - long wooden handled paddle, easiest way is to get a rocking chair and set to rocking/stirring. You're looking to cook the apples to a thick, spreadable consistency. Something that will stay on a spoon when held upside down.
A lot of time is involved but there are enough different tasks that almost everyone of any age can get involved - fire building, wood toting, apple peeling, getting jars ready, etc.
It's really a big social event and is a great fund raising event.
The kettle, stand and paddle are, of course, the most difficult items to acquire. A new kettle is going to run you around $400 or so. But once you've had some really good apple butter, you'll know it was worth it.
Sorry for being so long winded!
BB

Bullbuyer":p22mcvcc said:
cf-
My question about the whole apple butter thing is the price. This year it's been selling up here for around $4 /pint - usually its around $5/ quart. I guess with the drought and all - the apples were probably pretty high. I also noticed that the group that made this also made some sugar free apple butter! Just wouldn't be the same!

BB

Must be some of that WV rithmatik. Still $5/qt here. Sugar-free apple butter! :shock: That's almost as bad as unsweetened tea!

cfpinz

I guess that Sugar free stuff is geared toward diabetic folks and others that are watching their weight. If you used that Splenda stuff you'd have way too much money in it.
Somebody told me that this one group had to pay around $18 / bushel for apples.
There needs to be a constituional ban on unsweetened tea. Next time a waitress asks if I want my tea sweet or not - I'm gonna press charges for attempted assault on my taste buds!

rattler":s1nhk6xo said:
chrisy and CKC a cathead biscuit or what i call a cathead is a home made from scratch biscuit the bigger the better.Cut in half wile it is still hot pile the apple butter on it put the top back on for a few second's dang i gonna hush i'm makin me self hungry.

rattler

Same here... grandma made 'em the best.

DavisBeefmasters":3uj0bb6m said:
rattler":3uj0bb6m said:
chrisy and CKC a cathead biscuit or what i call a cathead is a home made from scratch biscuit the bigger the better.Cut in half wile it is still hot pile the apple butter on it put the top back on for a few second's dang i gonna hush i'm makin me self hungry.

rattler

Same here... grandma made 'em the best.

You got that right. Granny alway's baked her's on a old MealMaster wood cook stove

rattler

rattler":gfqck0j7 said:

rattler
Would that be baking soda biscuits? Mom made these for strawberry shortcake, and chicken and biscuits. Gosh I am hungry.

Latest posts