Apple Butter

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
It's that time of the year again. Every FFA and church in the area is cookin' it up. Just wondering if it's a big ticket in other areas or is this more of a local delicacy?

cfpinz

cfpinz":1qc3szz9 said:
It's that time of the year again. Every FFA and church in the area is cookin' it up. Just wondering if it's a big ticket in other areas or is this more of a local delicacy?

cfpinz

Must be local. Send me some. Please?

chrisy":3fn9qcbm said:
Apple butter, recipe please.......sounds good. ;-)

I've never made it, but it's basically taking apples and cooking them down to a dark liquid with the consistency of thick applesauce. Have to stir it by hand constantly in big kettles, usually takes 12 to 16 hours from what I've heard folks say. I'd wager it has cinnamon and a few other seasonings in it based on the taste.

When it comes to food I'm more into quality control than preparation. :)

cfpinz

cfpinz":2wc49581 said:

cfpinz

Apple butter is very popular up here, so I'm thinking it's not just a local delicacy. I love good apple butter!

Several years ago, I started a jelly & jam business. Did it for a good while. The name was Wild Bush Jelly's and more. I made wild grape, mesquite bean, big red,cactus,mango,jalapeno,tomato ,ect.ect.
My best selling was apple butter,rootbeer,coke cola. I dedcided if there was a juice for something I could make jelly out of it.
Apple butter is not that hard to make. Just alot of time.Some people peel them,I didn't Thats where your dark color comes from. I would cut them half ,core and cook until soft. I would take the peeling and run it thru a food processor. Chop them up real fine and add it to the mixer. Add sugar,cinnamon,cloves and cook some more. Ladle in to hot jars and you are done.
I think its 1/2 c. of sugar to a lb. of apples. I don't make mine real sweet. It's really a matter of taste. Start with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a 1/2 t. of cloves.

Apple season is just about finished up here and I have a friend that is selling jucie apples for fifteen cents a pound in lots of 500# and over.

We would like to see some apple butter recipes posted if any kind folks have any. The cows love apples but $300 a ton is pertty steep for cow candy but would like the leftovers from making apple goodies.

Thanks...Sue & Dave Mc

Having owned and operated a commercial apple orchard, I am familiar with apple butter. For my taste, Golden Delicious makes the best apple butter. Sweet but not too sweet. I have seen apple butter made in Va., Wv., Nc., Ky., western Md., Pa, and Ny., but I am sure other areas make it also. Watch feeding whole apples as cow candy, because, I have seen cows choke to death on whole apples. Grind the apples up, or allow the apples to get soft and mushy before feeding .

rattler":1eeu3c5m said:
Ain't nothin better then apple butter and a good hot cathead and a glass of milk.

rattler

I haven't had a good cathead biscuit in a long time... especially with some good applebutter...

llcupit --> please post the recipe when you get back home

YUM!

chrisy and CKC a cathead biscuit or what i call a cathead is a home made from scratch biscuit the bigger the better.Cut in half wile it is still hot pile the apple butter on it put the top back on for a few second's dang i gonna hush i'm makin me self hungry.

rattler

Sounds yummy. I will be anxious to see the recipe for apple butter. My mom used to make it but all of her recipes were taken by my brother's sister and we will never see them again.... anyway sure was good stuff. On toast, with pork chops, mom's homemade bread and rolls, on cottage cheese and....