Appetite increasing supplement

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
Anyone know of a supplement that might help increase the appetite in a steer? I've got a 11 month old simbrah show steer that is so finicky and that I've struggled to fill out since the end of may. I'm in an active ffa chapter, and believe me, we've tried mostly everything. I've got him on b12 every other day, even started doin probias every two weeks just to make sure his stomach stays cleaned out. We worm regularly.. I mean it's just ridiculous. We're gettin ready to try adding more corn to his ration as well as corn oil. We tried potatoes but he's so stubborn, he just would not eat the food at all. I'm wondering if I could just get a list and maybe a quick review of some supplements that might help increase his appetite. I'm trying to fatten him up by our country show which is the beginning of january, and ultimately by the houston livestock show (in march) which is where i want to sell.

Molasses. We've had a couple of steers over the years that just didn't like feed that well. Put them on "Sweet Feed" instead of the normal finisher, and they turned into chow hounds.

We used to mix hay in with the feed in the grinder, but found they seem to like to eat the hay, and they seem to eat more when they have the opportunity to "graze" on unprocessed hay.

Latest posts