Apparantly tastes change

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":2yf6at4g said:
dun":2yf6at4g said:
30 some odd years ago I really enjoyed a couple of Brit comedys. The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin, Good Neighbors (It's a Good life), To the manor born, etc. I've been watching them again lately on youtube in the middle of the night. Don;t find them particularly funny any more. Almost afraid to watch F Troop to see if it's as funny now as it was back then

I've always been a big fan of British humor, and some of their dramas.
I can still watch every episode of The Last of the Summer Wine, Keeping up Appearances and To the Manor Born. Also like scifi comedy and watch reruns of Red Dwarf. None were ever meant to be slapstick funny--all operated off the premise of a drier humor, poking fun at each character's own stereotypes. Really evident in 'Summer Wine".

More serious, I like Doc Martin and Foyle's War. Can't stand East Enders or Are You Being Served.
I used to watch All Creatures Great and Small a show based on the writings of a British veterinarian and liked it a lot.

I recently re-read the very first 2 hard back books I ever owned--birthday gifts when I was about 10-12. Swiss Family Robinson and Treasure Island. Just as good as when I first read them.

When I watch old movies, I sense a bit of change. Saw The Big Country not long ago, and oddly found myself kinda pulling for Burl Ive's character Rufus Hannassay and hoped Henry Terrill would be strung to a tall tree.

Greybeard, I still love watching "Keeping up Appearances"! When I was a kid, I got quite a kick out of the woman with the colorful hair on "Are you being served". Was the "All creatures great and small" based on James Harriot's writings? I loved his writing as a kid, and if it is, I will have to check it out. Glad to know I'm not the only one who watches the brits on PBS!

dun":zs7oncc8 said:
30 some odd years ago I really enjoyed a couple of Brit comedys. The fall and rise of Reginald Perrin, Good Neighbors (It's a Good life), To the manor born, etc. I've been watching them again lately on youtube in the middle of the night. Don;t find them particularly funny any more. Almost afraid to watch F Troop to see if it's as funny now as it was back then

I hear you there is one I can watch and enjoy every time that is Lonesome Dove.

I used to think those old Japanese Godzilla movies were the greatest. Saw one recently and realized that I just have/had really low standards.

I wish my wife's tastes would change. She has the amazing ability to watch the same stuff over and over again and instead of getting bored with re-runs she starts laughing in advance at the funny parts because she already knows what's coming.

Caustic Burno":17n7oizz said:
dun":17n7oizz said:

X10! Our family has it on all day during our Christmas gathering. Kids play, adults have a drink and watch Lonesome Dove...

Boot Jack Bulls":acbtllu8 said:
greybeard":acbtllu8 said:
[

I've always been a big fan of British humor, and some of their dramas.
I can still watch every episode of The Last of the Summer Wine, Keeping up Appearances and To the Manor Born. Also like scifi comedy and watch reruns of Red Dwarf. None were ever meant to be slapstick funny--all operated off the premise of a drier humor, poking fun at each character's own stereotypes. Really evident in 'Summer Wine".

More serious, I like Doc Martin and Foyle's War. Can't stand East Enders or Are You Being Served.
I used to watch All Creatures Great and Small a show based on the writings of a British veterinarian and liked it a lot.

I recently re-read the very first 2 hard back books I ever owned--birthday gifts when I was about 10-12. Swiss Family Robinson and Treasure Island. Just as good as when I first read them.

When I watch old movies, I sense a bit of change. Saw The Big Country not long ago, and oddly found myself kinda pulling for Burl Ive's character Rufus Hannassay and hoped Henry Terrill would be strung to a tall tree.

Greybeard, I still love watching "Keeping up Appearances"! When I was a kid, I got quite a kick out of the woman with the colorful hair on "Are you being served". Was the "All creatures great and small" based on James Harriot's writings? I loved his writing as a kid, and if it is, I will have to check it out. Glad to know I'm not the only one who watches the brits on PBS!
Yes, books by James Harriot, but that was a pen name. My sister has some of his books. I forget his real first name but his last name was Wight & he really was a vet.

Caustic Burno":3n3abz7g said:

My favorite movie by far, hands down. And what an awesome cast of actors and actresses. My two boys love it as much as I do.

We also like the Andy Griffith Show and The Rifleman. I try hard to expose them to the older shows. There's a lot of principles that can be learned by youngsters from these and you'd be surprised at what they pick up on.

Bigfoot they don't let kids read stories like that anymore. Too much heartache and disappointment on the ranch for today's special snowflakes.

Lots of good shows on PBS Masterpiece my wife and I watch PBS the majority of the time. Some of the DVDS that we have are O Brother where art thou, Second hand lions, Worlds Fastest Indian, Open Range and some others. All of these are very good.
For the last few weeks PBS has had documentary about each President and their administration. I have lived through some of them and these shows have been very interesting.

hqdefault.jpg

hurleyjd":1kwik1m0 said:
dun":1kwik1m0 said:
Second hand lion was really good
Great grand kids are enjoying Fer Gulley. There parents really liked the DVD.
I guess you meant Fern Gulley.

Second Hand Lion...I don't think I have ever seen a Duvall movie I didn't like.

SJB":3884t8nw said:
The Andy Griffeth Show never gets old.

You are correct; I think Andy Griffith is the best overall show ever. They just had a different style of writing or something; it just never gets old.

I agree that Lonesome Dove is great too. I remember watching it when it came on the first time and thought it was the best Western I'd ever seen.

I've changed views on a show. My parents watched Hee Haw when i was a kid. I watched and thought it was ok, but I never thought much about it being funny back then. These days, I think the jokes they tell are hilarious. I watch them on YouTube and can't wait to share them.

I can relate to the OP on some shows. Some things i watched years ago and enjoyed, I don't care much for in re-runs.

Latest posts