Apollo gate opener warning

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I've recommended Apollo 1500 gate openers to a lot of people. Many here. I feel I should point out a recent problem that has surfaced..
Apollo has changed their once almost bullet proof circuit board with a pos. And they are not warranty the boards as they should. There's a relay on the circuit board that fries. Destroying the circuit board. Every one we have sent back they are claiming lighting damage or electrical surge. Do not buy one with this circuit board. If you have to replace one and Apollo will not warranty the board. Please contact me and I can assist you with getting a old good board.(at cost) The old boards are still out there and available.

At top left of circuit board you will find 635/636 this is the good board. Me and two of my competitor talked this morning. In the past two months we've installed 24 units with the bad boards. We've had to repair 19.

You can see just to the right of the word Apollo 635/636 (635 is blacked out) this is the good board. Don't buy anything else.

Another thought------- I always think to myself, wouldn't it be cheaper for a company to stand behind their product, and defend their market share, than it would to sell crap and have people disappointed?

Bigfoot":14tiuz95 said:
Another thought------- I always think to myself, wouldn't it be cheaper for a company to stand behind their product, and defend their market share, than it would to sell crap and have people disappointed?

I don't argue that it would be better, but so many consumers chase after the lowest price without considering quality that some companies probably think they have to cut the cost of the product even if quality suffers in order to sell their product.

I still open my gates the old faction way, but sometimes it doesn't work too good. I wish a board would fix it.

Hello to the forum,

I sent the OP a PM about this earlier today, still waiting on a reply, please check your inbox. I forgot to ask what are the POS boards you referred to, the 1050's? I have an old 633 that I can't revive and it looks like a 636 is my best, worst option at this point?

Thanks for any info
FJ

Farmer Joe":rsgqrd2s said:
Hello to the forum,

I sent the OP a PM about this earlier today, still waiting on a reply, please check your inbox. I forgot to ask what are the POS boards you referred to, the 1050's? I have an old 633 that I can't revive and it looks like a 636 is my best, worst option at this point?

Thanks for any info
FJ

Pm sent joe

Howdy CMF, I sent you another PM, but thought I would ask this here as well so others might know which board you are referring to that is sub standard?

Is it some variant of the 636 or is it the other compatible board the 1050? Or perhaps something else I'm not even aware of?

Thanks for your input,
FJ

EDIT: I called the supplier today that you suggested and spoke to the contact you recommended, he gave me some information about the problems with the Apollo boards. He said they had problems with the 800 series boards as well as the new 1050 boards which I can believe considering the components that are used. Specifically he mentioned the 1050 boards had a lot of problems with solar setups, which I have and will definately steer clear of.

The 600 series boards definately seem a bit more robust, short of a few IC chips which is what I think finally gave up the ghost on my board. What is really a shame is the manufacturer price fixing on these boards, yes there is a free market and captitalism, but then there is outright price gouging. Unfortunately this is the latter here with Apollo. If there where more of a demand, the Chinese would probably be selling these for $10 retail and with free shipping to boot, but I digress.

Anyway, thank you for the OP, I was contemplating getting a 1050 board, thought newer might be better, which as we all know isn't always the case and clearly isn't the case here either.

I'd like to add to this thread, I also found out from another source that if you did decide to go from a 600 series board to a 1050 board, you also have to change the drive motor sprocket or the gate will open and close slower. That is if you have a sliding gate setup, I don't know if swing gates are affected.

FJ :cboy: