Anyone?

Help Support CattleToday:

If my math is any good, that's about $2.10/lb US, using $.775 for US/AU dollar exchange. What kind of weights are those, just out of curiosity? Here is the link to US futures.

Around the 300kg (660lb) mark should achieve that. If your prices did come up it would help sustain those prices here as our industry is heavily reliant on the export market. Processors won't continue sustain a loss forever before they start shutting down plants and cutting shifts. History will probably repeat itself and when your prices are high ours will be low and vice versa, just gotta make the most of the good times.

Ken

So you are saying I should take $2.75 at 500 and $3 at 4 then.......?
I don't know what the current loony conversion is.
I do know it is hard to sell into a rising market.
The talking heads would say to sell 20% of the calf crop now as long as it is a profitable trade. Then make incremental sales.
I don't follow very well, so I am selling bred cows and retaining calves, to increase gross per acre.
My crystal ball says prices are up significantly next year. Don't make panic sales.

Last edited:
Too dependent on the weather, for me to guess. I'm predicting the row crop guys shoot themselves in the foot, and plant wall to wall. If it rains then commodities will be cheap. Nothing Biden is going to do will help our position. China will get our $ and the middle east will starve us to death on fuel prices.

Just checking Superior for a bit this am and 900 to 1000lb steers, black, were running in the 155 to 165 range...delivery from March thur early May

Too dependent on the weather, for me to guess. I'm predicting the row crop guys shoot themselves in the foot, and plant wall to wall. If it rains then commodities will be cheap. Nothing Biden is going to do will help our position. China will get our $ and the middle east will starve us to death on fuel prices.
Heard recent land auctions were selling extra high. Seems like both crop and cattle price rallies last about two years per cycle. I think it is time to pump the brakes and pay off a few things.

What is guaranteed is there will be a lot of new crop land broken up in Africa and South America because of this rally, and it will stay in production after the prices come back down.

On the country page? I'm not seeing anything near that high.

Just watching the auction on youtube....most were on this page....lots 2420 and up

Something else to think about that happened on superior today....Syracuse Dairy sold 3300 dairy/angus cross steers @ 650lbs for $152...with delivery in Aug/Sept... then somewhere around 1300 of the same heifers @ $140 with the same Aug/Sept... so...what does that say?

Good black 5wt. steers were at $1.35-$1.45 here this week. Not a lot of optimism at those prices. A 4wt. heifer would get you a whopping $1.15 if your lucky.

Good black 5wt. steers were at $1.35-$1.45 here this week. Not a lot of optimism at those prices. A 4wt. heifer would get you a whopping $1.15 if your lucky.
That is about the same we see here and for those prices they are good cattle.

Last edited:
Could make good coin with them here. 5 wt steers are $1.70-1.80 and 4 wt heifers are $1.60-1.70. Trouble is the freight getting them here would probably be a killer.

Thanks for posting. It looks like the expensive heavies are NHTC and natural. That sort of premium surely makes it worth it.

Good catch... I'm not in a position to sell pot loads but I still wonder how many hoops you'd need to jump thru to get NHTC approved and what it would cost.

Good catch... I'm not in a position to sell pot loads but I still wonder how many hoops you'd need to jump thru to get NHTC approved and what it would cost.
My SIL use to rep for Superior. He said there was a couple of places where the neighbors pooled calves together to make a pot load. They would meet at a location where there was a set of pens and a scale. Said there would be half a dozen goose neck trailers there to meet him. He would end up writing half a dozen checks getting the truck loaded.

Latest posts